Miflex Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are uncomfortable I don't see a compelling case to change. I have one on my pony because it routs at an odd angle and it's helpful. Other that that right now all of my hoses have the delightful feature of being bought and paid for.

Pete

the only drawbacks I have found so far (and I use Phantom):

I do have the "new" Miflex hose that was sent to me under the voluntary recall, replacing a previous hose. My only dislike is the inability to swivel the gauge once pressurized. I also have a Phantom HP, (outside the recall lot), but have not gone to it. The "normal" diameter has some appeal to me.... not sure why....

Do you mean, the new HP hose ( carbon) does not swivel as well ? Like the old version ?
confused.gif

that is the case for me...

My view of Miflex hoses are certainly mixed. I have them all on my tec and recreation rig and although I have found them to look grubby and rub my kit sometimes I did generally feel they were tougher and safer than standard rubber hoses. Well that was my opinion until the other day. My wife, who is a full time instructor also has full Miflex setup and for her there has been some major issues. She has had two high pressure hoses explode on her in the last couple of months. The first I just put down to a freak event but the second one made me look up the hoses and find that in the US and Canada they have had a product recall. Luckily the hoses blew on the surface and not whilst diving and just to reiterate, these hose did not spring a leak, they out right exploded and tore themselves open. Upone emailing miflex they acted as if nothing is wrong and the recall in the states is nothing to do with Europe. Well Miflex, It is in print now that you say nothing is wrong with your hoses. I wonder if like so many other companies you will wait until a fatality occurs defore you do something about it. My reccomendation to anyone is to dump the high pressure hose for a more traditional one. Although I should add the ones that have exploded have been the thin model and as far as I can tell, no low pressure or intermediate pressure hoses have this problem. But dont take my word for it.

I use milflex for my occy LP hose, partly because it's very lightweight but mostly because it's very flexible (handy for stowing an occy) and I was impressed by just how bright the yellow hose was (and has stayed over the last couple of years) compared to the traditional ones. I'm not sure I'd trust them for HP hoses though - to be honest I didn't even know they made them!

I love them. I have both the HP & the LP. I saw the recall on the HP hose and took my to the local shop and got a replacement even though it looked new and I never had a problem with it. They are much lighter and so much easier to pack since they are more flexible. I try and travel as much as possible so anything lighter is a plus for me. { then I can bring my camera gear :) } but just like every of piece of scuba equipment.....it's a personal choice.

She has had two high pressure hoses explode on her in the last couple of months. The first I just put down to a freak event but the second one made me look up the hoses and find that in the US and Canada they have had a product recall. Luckily the hoses blew on the surface and not whilst diving and just to reiterate, these hose did not spring a leak, they out right exploded and tore themselves open.

In the last couple of years alone I've seen (or rather ... heard!) 3 HP hoses blow. All of the out of the water thankfully (when the valve was opened prior to a dive) but all of them were standard hoses. They never tend to 'slowly leak' (the o-rings sometimes do), but just explode like a gun going off!
I guess my point is that hp hoses always tend to blow 'dramatically', but it can happen to any hose type.

That said - I've never (knowingly) seen a milflex HP hose. How do they differ from the LP ones which feel like a toy compared to traditional ones (although the design makes them arguably more resistant to being destroyed by abrasion or sharp objects ... apparently).

Back
Top Bottom