MiFlex Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupert Vidion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Are MiFlex Hoses DIR compliant?

Cheers,

Rupert

P.S. Is there an official, consistent GUE list somewhere of items like this that are or are not compliant? I can't find anything in the members section of GUE.com.

Hi,

Are MiFlex Hoses DIR compliant?

This was asked in a recent Fundies class, and the response was essentially "Sure, depending on what exactly you do with them!"

:D

Hi,

What's meant by "Depending on what exactly you do with them"?

Initially I want to use one for my long hose, if I find it nicer/easier/better to use I would look to change all of my hoses for MiFlex.

Cheers,

Rupert

Hi,

What's meant by "Depending on what exactly you do with them"?

A 7' Miflex hose wrapped around your neck 3 times is not DIR compliant.

:eyebrow:

DIR is about gear + configuration + skill. DIR "compliant" gear configured or utilized improperly is not DIR compliant.

Initially I want to use one for my long hose, if I find it nicer/easier/better to use I would look to change all of my hoses for MiFlex.

You can read my mini-review of Miflex hoses here...

Miflex Hoses at www.DiveSeekers.com

I think you'll end up going "full boat" Miflex after trying them. Most noticeable difference of benefit of Miflex in DIR config for me was actually the short hose.

There are no concerns about not being able to inspect the hose itself because of the braided sheath?

Rupert

There are no concerns about not being able to inspect the hose itself because of the braided sheath?

Rupert

The braided sheath is part of "the hose itself."

Even a "regular" hose has an outer rubber layer that would preclude inspection of what's underneath it.

No worries

Thanks for the help.

Rupert

I think you'll end up going "full boat" Miflex after trying them. Most noticeable difference of benefit of Miflex in DIR config for me was actually the short hose.

My LP hoses, both for Argon and wing inflation, tend to show the most strain, and I'm thinking of replacing those with miflex. After that HP hoses on stages. Way down at the bottom of the list is actually the long hose....

I am considering getting the LP hoses for my backup reg and my LP inflator -- with DS4s they can put a decent strain on the hose over time.

Actually I need to replace my HP hose on my doubles rig (rubber is starting to come off! :shocked2:) but I don't think I'll replace it with a Miflex hose. I like the stiffness of the HP hose; over time you can almost tell how much air you have by how stiff the HP hose is, before you bring it up to face-level. Also, it is always in exactly the same position during the dive, which really helps for reaching back there and grabbing it. Then again if the Miflex HP hoses have that quality perhaps I'll switch.

Actually I need to replace my HP hose on my doubles rig (rubber is starting to come off! :shocked2:) but I don't think I'll replace it with a Miflex hose. I like the stiffness of the HP hose; over time you can almost tell how much air you have by how stiff the HP hose is, before you bring it up to face-level. Also, it is always in exactly the same position during the dive, which really helps for reaching back there and grabbing it.

A "charged" Miflex HP hose is as stiff as a regular hose. (Swapping mine this afternoon.)

Give it a try. You know you want to!

Buy me now...

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom