miflex colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure if DGX posted a tech tip that said "Next time you see a honking big moray eel poke him in the ribs a couple of times because they like to be tickled.", I would do it. :poke:

Disclaimer, they did NOT say this :rofl3:
LOL, I suggest that you go ahead and poke him. They are usually pretty good sports! This one inspected my hoses up close and approved of my rig:

However, the industry standard for all scuba hoses is five years and I was using DGX and XS SCUBA (MIflex) as examples. I am not going to copy out dozens of similar recommendations from multiple companies and manufacturers. That folks like to stretch that five years to a few decades, well, regardless, the recommendation remains every five years. This kind of falls into the same typical recommendation of servicing regulators every year (sometimes two), who does that?

Any regulator that I would use for overhead/deco is darn sure going to have hoses on it that are less than five years old and that are in good condition and for which I know the history.

James

I'd avoid yellow hoses except for the alternate second stage, so as not to confuse people. Similarly, I'd avoid green or white, since it means oxygen to many people.

Why are you getting mi-flex hoses for sidemount? They are floaty, take a set and stay somewhat kinked, and are not friendly to drysuit neck seals or the little hairs on your neck/arms.
They are also recommended to be replaced every two years.
They also are known to kink shut. I and some other tech instructors I know did/do not allow mi-flex hoses on regulators for that reason.
Rubber hoses last longer, are not prone to kinking, and don't abrade seals of skin.
Get black rubber hoses and forget the mi-flex.
Been using them for years without problems, even long hoses

But others HAVE had problems. Why use a hose that is problematic?

I believe others HAVE had some sort of problem be it large or small with every piece of gear from every manufacturer regardless.

I believe others HAVE had some sort of problem be it large or small with every piece of gear from every manufacturer regardless.
Things are not that black and white. Since rubber hoses have very few problems, and braided hose have many more, does that not make rubber hoses less risky? Given your "all gear has problems" I guess you just have to give up diving.

Because I have not experienced the problems and the benefits (flexibility, light weight) outweigh the potential risks for me
So, there is no need to consider the extra risks since you have not personally had a problem? How does that work for seat belts, helmets on motorbikes, or jumping from an airplane without a parachute? Sometimes, one needs to consider the problems other people have had, and learn from it.

So, there is no need to consider the extra risks since you have not personally had a problem? How does that work for seat belts, helmets on motorbikes, or jumping from an airplane without a parachute? Sometimes, one needs to consider the problems other people have had, and learn from it.
My judgment and that of certification agencies are applied to anything that has to do with my own safety. My standards may be higher or lower than the standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom