Middle ear barotrauma again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in Turks & Caicos this week. After my second dive yesterday I developed a middle ear barotrauma and can't dive the rest of the week. I know my issue was not getting good equalization during my descent. The problem I have is once I gear up and try to equalize my throat tenses up and I have a hard time with a valsalva or other techniques. When I am relaxed without a reg in my mouth I'm fine and can pretty much equalize on demand. I'm trying to find an instructor or ENT that can work with me on my technique. I'll call DAN when I get back to see if they have any references. If anyone knows of a good resource in the Washington DC area I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in Turks & Caicos this week. After my second dive yesterday I developed a middle ear barotrauma and can't dive the rest of the week. I know my issue was not getting good equalization during my descent. The problem I have is once I gear up and try to equalize my throat tenses up and I have a hard time with a valsalva or other techniques. When I am relaxed without a reg in my mouth I'm fine and can pretty much equalize on demand. I'm trying to find an instructor or ENT that can work with me on my technique. I'll call DAN when I get back to see if they have any references. If anyone knows of a good resource in the Washington DC area I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Hey, Mike...

Sorry that you are having problems - yes, a good ENT exam might let you know if there is anything chronic going on. DAN should be able to give you a local referral.

These sites should be helpful for now:

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

Prevention of Middle Ear Barotrauma

And here is my article for some background information, if you don't already know this stuff...

Best,

Mike

Dr. Mike....

Thanks for the references. I am familiar with all of them. I think what I may do is practice equalizing with a mouthpiece in my mouth (not attached to the regulator). I think part of my issue is that my jaw position is different having the regulator in my mouth and makes it harder for me to equalize.

It's just frustrating....

Dr. Mike....

Thanks for the references. I am familiar with all of them. I think what I may do is practice equalizing with a mouthpiece in my mouth (not attached to the regulator). I think part of my issue is that my jaw position is different having the regulator in my mouth and makes it harder for me to equalize.

It's just frustrating....

Sure... good luck! Keep at it and try all of those different techniques referenced in the article...

M

Back
Top Bottom