Mid-West Muck Divers, Add your favorite dive spots to our directory!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone has a solid lead on some up to date maps in Missouri/Arkansas, I would be interested in locating a set so I can GPS the wrecks, homesites, and interesting dive points this summer. Thanks.

If your planning on diving norfolk or bull shoals you better have a boat or be prepared to rent one. We camped at beaverlake last year and dover there many times. We left to check out norfolk and bull shoals and without a boat the lakes are worthless. Only 1 shore dive spot at Norfolk it is by the marina and I didn't see anything but the bottom. Dove to 60ft and there was even less there.

Beaver lake rocks, beautiful surroundings. Clear water 20-25 vis. (they said that the lake had just turned and that the water level was as low as it had been in a long time). Camping was cheap and a local bait shop ( c&J) off to the east of the lake had air fills and the people there are really nice and helpful.

Hidden Paradise in St. Paul, Indiana is pretty nice. On a good day, vis can be 12-15 ft, and about 2-3 feet on a bad day. There are freshwater jellies and paddlefish. You will see lots of bluegill, and an occasional turtle. There is a sunken tractor, a motorcycle with a plastic skeleton sitting on it (scared the CR@P out of me on a bad vis day!!!), and if I remember correctly, there is also a bus (a staple of every quarry) and a boat and car. There is also a "hole" that goes down to 35-40 feet (depth?). I haven't decended down the hole... creeps me out to think what MIGHT be down there!! LOL Last time I was there it was $10 pp to get in.

I do a lot of local diving… Here is where I go to get my information:

Southern Indiana Scuba, Bloomington Indiana's Only 5 Star PADI Dive Center

On the left scroll down and click on Local Dive Sites…

This is what you will find….

Southern Indiana Scuba's list of local sites
Local and Regional sites that are available for scuba diving:
Indiana:
• Blue Springs Quarry, 545 E. Hendricks Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176
o Actual town is Waldron, Indiana
o The quarry is open on weekends
o Depth Range 18 to 52 feet
o Entrance fee and diving fee
o Phone (317)398-2277 OR (317)402-0504
o E-mail: bluespringsscuba@yahoo.com
o Website: bluespringsscubadiving.net
o Directions from Southern Indiana Scuba to Blue Springs

• Hidden Paradise
o Depth Range 18 to 21 feet
o Camping
o Changing Facilities
o Boat Rental
o Phone: 765-525-6582

• White Rock
o Depth Range 25 feet
o Camping
o Changing Facilities
o Boat Rental
o Phone: 765-525-9022

• France Park, Logansport, In
o The insurance problems have been resolved and diving is available on weekends and holidays from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. The Diving Den of Kokomo has contracted for insurance and is running the diving operation with a divemaster on duty during the hours of operation. The air station is open from 9:00 a.m until 4:00 p.m. on the days diving is available. If you have any questions, the phone number for the Diving Den is 765-452-1034.
o Available to students and instructors
o Phone: 219-753-2928

• Sunset Lake, Linton Indiana
o Depth Range 12 - 30 ft
o Camping
o Diving fee
o Phone: 812-847-8513
o Directions from Southern Indiana Scuba to Sunset Lake

Ohio:

• Gilboa Quarry, Ottawa Ohio
o Depth Range 20 -140 ft
o Primitive Camping
o Entrance fee
o Rainbow Trout
o Phone: 419-456-3300
o Directions from Southern Indiana Scuba to Gilboa Quarry

• Long Lake, Lima Ohio
o Depth Range 12 - 40 ft
o Very clear water
o Phone: 419-331-3483

Illinois:
• Mermet Springs, Vienna IL
o Depth Range 20 -120 ft
o Camping with hookups
o Changing Facilities
o Entrance fee
o Boat rental
o Phone: 618-658-3811

• Haigh Quarry, Kanakee IL
o Depth Range 20 - 80 ft
o Changing Facilities
o Entrance fee
o Nitrox fills 36%
o Reservations only
o Phone: 815-939-7797

Thanks

FplcMan

Last edited by a moderator:
I am huge fan of Mermet Springs - Metropolis, IL (good structures, good vis, very remote), Haigh Quarry- Kankee, IL (great marine life, good vis, easy access) , and BrickYard Quarry (omni scuba) - St Elmo, IL (Lots of structures and underwater forest, descent vis, somewhat remote).

i went to mermett early august it is awesome.vis depends on divers 15 to 20 feet it is located in motropolus illinois i am not sure of correct spelling but the jet is awesome.

I have only dove Mermette and Haigh in the area, but both are great sites. For me Haigh is good because it is familiar (now), but even when I first went there I found the quarry to be well kept and easy to figure out. It's a nice place for beginners with interest in seeing some structures underwater as some of the original quarry equipment and some other objects of interest are located in fairly accessible depths (15-50ft).
As far as Mermetter goes I was very impressed. I think the two coolest things about there are the sunken plane and the underwater recall system they sometimes play music through for night diving. Another thing that I thought was cool about this place was that they offered facilities for doing boat diving specialties despite not having an actual need for boat access. I was also impressed by the pavilions with boat-like setups for tanks (they had bungees and holders set up like most boats).

France Park Stone Quarry in Logansport, Indiana. It's very small (max depth 25 feet), but it's great for less experienced divers and there are some pretty cool sights. It has a healthy paddlefish population (some up to 8 feet long) and several "pet" channel catfish which I'm told are four or five feet long. The algae blooms were pretty bad because of the weather this summer, but usually visibility is around 10-20 feet. There is a small dive shack right at the beach where you can do discover scuba, rent gear, fill tanks, etc...

Scuba diving
Home
The Diving Den: France Park

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom