"Mid Level" reg for UW photography??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xagudo

Reaction score
What´s a good "Mid level" regulator for underwater photography. I´ve been looking to a Sherwood Oasis with side exhausts and the Aqua Lung Titan LX. How about the Scubapros? Any thoughts? ... Is it really a serious issue the "Bubble Interference" with other regulators?...thanks

There's nothing special about the regs we use. There are only a few basic designs and they are all very dependable. However I chose mine partly becasue of the wide exhaust port. Whether I'm taking pictures or not, I don't want bubbles in my face. My SeaQuest Spectrum/XR2 is still rocking along, I think they are now Aqualung (Legend). Oceanic has several models, ScubaPro (G250/M25 or R190/Mark2) and Apex (DS4) are just a couple I can think of right off that I would buy.

Find one that suits your budget and go with it. The most important part is to take care of it and keep it maintained.

I'm kind of curious if anyone out there really has problems with "bubble interference". I've seen it touted as a reason to purchase side exhauset regs or regs with oversize exhausts, but I've yet to use a reg that causes this problem. I guess I'll have to yank the exhaust off a few of my regs and see if I notice anything.

later

Steve

I've tried several that had very narrow exhaust ports, they didn't come close to clearing the diamenter of the 2nd stage cover. As long as you're horizontal, it's a non-issue. But if you get in any vertical position to take a photo, yes...the bubbles do get in your face and around your camera, which also leaves minute bubbles adhereing to the lens port and interfering with the focusing.

How do you feel about Sherwood regs? The Magnum and Oasis claim to have an extended exhaust tee to remove bubble interference. But I get the feeling that people here don´t like Sherwood in general very much. What do you think?

I have 2 Sherwood regs. Magnum is on my pony now since I upgraded to the Maximus. The exhaust ports on both are wide/large and I don't see bubbles no matter what position I am in(except on my back, of course). Whether this is important in photograghy, I have yet to determine. They do work well in warm or cold water conditions and I've dived both. I like 'em. JM2C.

Jetwrench

xagudo:
How do you feel about Sherwood regs? The Magnum and Oasis claim to have an extended exhaust tee to remove bubble interference. But I get the feeling that people here don´t like Sherwood in general very much. What do you think?

I don't personally have any experience with Sherwood regs, but there's lot of satisfied divers who use them.

Back
Top Bottom