Miami Wreck Trek 7/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear

Contributor
Reaction score
Went Sat. 7/12 on the H2O Diver out of Sunny Isle, grabbed 2 of the 4 remaining spots for pleasure divers. 10 other divers were mixed classes doing advanced and OW checkouts.

We hooked up to the stern of the Conception, pulled our way through a moderate surface current and had a good 60 ft. vis.on the bottom. Worked our way towards the bow, found a sleeping loggerhead under a bent over plate, he was huge. From the bow, continued south to a small tug covered in sea fans and gorgonians. Went west a bit to the wreck C1 much larger tug and equally covered with soft corals and thousands of schooling fish.
Dive was around 70 ft/ 45 min. Returned to anchor line to finish an outstanding dive # 1.

Dive # 2 was in a trench made when an outfall pipe was removed. Makes a canyon about 60 ft. wide with 15-20 ft walls running east to west. The trench was loaded with fish, so thick at times you had to shoo them away from the walls to get a better look. Spotted a large green moray, small nurse shark, and black bar soldierfish, as well as tons of goatfish.

We've recently returned from a trip to the TCI, and usally drive 2 hrs. south to the Keys to dive. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the diving just 30 min. from our front door. Checked my logbook and it had been 20 yrs. since I dove off Miami, that's about to change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom