Miami to Key Largo during rush hour?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvDaOcean

Reaction score
Hi Conchers!

I was wondering if you could help me out. My son and I will be arriving at the Miami Airport in just over a week and heading down to Key Largo. Our plane lands at 3:30pm and by the time we collect our bags and get our rental car I'm sure it will be big time rush hour there. The only thing in our favor is that it will be mid-week (Wed) and not the weekend. So, my questions are:

1) How do we get OUT of Miami airport (we'll be leaving from Enterprise car rentals if that helps any)?

2) Are there any tricky turns or exits that we might miss along the way if we're not watching closely?

3) After we're out of the airport what is the best/easiest/quickest way to Key Largo?

I'm SO totally clueless - any help at all would be so appreciated. I've only driven to the Keys via I-10 East...never flew in until now.

Thanks a ton!!!! :)

Rush hour will suck hard. The most direct way to the keys is to leave the airport towards Le Jeune South/836 west and get on 836 west. Stay on 836 west, it ends at the Florida turnpike, take the Florida Turnpike south, at the end it will land you on US1 in Florida City. Stay on US1 south and you will be in the keys in no time. It is very straight forward. Traffic will be horrendous at that time though.

Also depends on the day of the week. US 1 through Homestead/Florida City to Key Largo is usually the worst going south on Friday nights, and coming back Sunday afternoons.

PalauDiver:
Rush hour will suck hard. The most direct way to the keys is to leave the airport towards Le Jeune South/836 west and get on 836 west. Stay on 836 west, it ends at the Florida turnpike, take the Florida Turnpike south, at the end it will land you on US1 in Florida City. Stay on US1 south and you will be in the keys in no time. It is very straight forward. Traffic will be horrendous at that time though.
PalauDiver hit the nail on the head! IME, the traffic will only "suck hard" on 836... unfortunately, there's no way around it. By the time you reach the turnpike, you should be moving right along... at least until you reach "the stretch". Bring toll money (quarters), travel safely, and enjoy!

You will spend the majority of your drive time "parked" on that short stretch of 836. Once you get past that it is pretty smooth sailing, usually. You will have two $1.25 tolls. The lines can get pretty bad at the toll booths too.

You won't have to worry about missing any turns since you'll have plenty of time to look at all the signage while you're creeping along at 5 mph on 836.

Rachel

PalauDiver:

Yikes! It sounds monsterous. Not particularly something I'll enjoy after a long day of traveling that's for sure.

So, I should see the Le Jeune South/836 exit after I leave the car rental office at the airport? And once reaching the Florida Turnpike does it actually read "Florida Turnpike south"?

Thanks to all of you ... sounds like FL is getting just as bad as CA these days! :11:

Not really, 836 will be the problem as the others said but then you should move quickly

I would take this route, except instead of taking the 878 from the 836, I would just continue on the 836 to the turnpike (as others have suggested). IMO turnpike is worth the tolls and its usually quicker even though it can be slightly less direct.

I first started driving the area a few years ago and a handheld GPS mounted in my car made everything much easier. A lot of car rental companies offer GPS as an add-on to the rental car. You won't benefit from GPS though if you are spending the entire trip in Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom