Miami the ideal place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeeTheWorld

Reaction score
Is Miami an ideal place to live as far as diving goes over Los Angeles? For diving I think it is, because the avg. water temperature in the summer is warmer than Hawaii and it is possible to go without wetsuit. Plus Miami is close to the Keys so it's good for the 3 day weekends you get. And I've heard a lot of boats that will take you from Miami to the Bahamas daily. It's the gateway to to the Caribbean. Better than Los Angeles?

Opinions? Agreements? Disagreements?

Thanks

Miami has almost NO shore diving compared to Cally. Miami can get chilly in the winter like LA and the water does drop to the low 70's or lower. Not much dif. than 60 degrees in Cally as far as what one would wear diving, probably a 7mil in both. Miami is not nearly as pretty as Cally, in my opinion. Think Palos Verdes and Old Marine Land. Miami ranks higher in crime than SoCal, but not too far off. Homes are (average) cheaper in Miami. Pay is generally less in Miami but costs less too. Key Largo rocks for diving and is very close!! Ft. Lauderdale and WPB rock and are also very close. Tough call. If money isn't a consideration, then diving is SoFla may be better. Beach diving in Cally is pretty cheap though, assuming conditions are right. As far as quick trips to the Bahamas, it's not really that doable. Not nearly as easy as going to Catalina. Good GOD I love Catalina!!! Too bad Cuba is not an option for us American's. That's only 90 miles from Miami. Miami is hotter in the summer. Too hot! OH, Cuban food is really good and cheap too. That's a plus! Just some thoughts from a former Floridian living in NYC and moving soon to LA. LOL. Seriously.

California's too cold for me to dive though. Florida's summer tepmerature for water are much better and get into the eighty's. I live in Palos Verdes (Well I'm going to this summer -we're looking for a home, too expensive) The highest the water got was 72 I believe during summer. It depends on the type of diving though probably. Florida has more tropical life and colorful fish, while Calif. has amazing kelp forests. Catalina is nice though. Miami doesn't have shore diving really but places around it do is what I like.

scubadobadoo:
Miami has almost NO shore diving compared to Cally. Miami can get chilly in the winter like LA and the water does drop to the low 70's or lower. Not much dif. than 60 degrees in Cally as far as what one would wear diving, probably a 7mil in both. Miami is not nearly as pretty as Cally, in my opinion. Think Palos Verdes and Old Marine Land. Miami ranks higher in crime than SoCal, but not too far off. Homes are (average) cheaper in Miami. Pay is generally less in Miami but costs less too. Key Largo rocks for diving and is very close!! Ft. Lauderdale and WPB rock and are also very close. Tough call. If money isn't a consideration, then diving is SoFla may be better. Beach diving in Cally is pretty cheap though, assuming conditions are right. As far as quick trips to the Bahamas, it's not really that doable. Not nearly as easy as going to Catalina. Good GOD I love Catalina!!! Too bad Cuba is not an option for us American's. That's only 90 miles from Miami. Miami is hotter in the summer. Too hot! OH, Cuban food is really good and cheap too. That's a plus! Just some thoughts from a former Floridian living in NYC and moving soon to LA. LOL. Seriously.

The company I work for is based in OC. My Miami co-workers all have bigger (although less expensive) homes than our counterparts in OC. For housing, Miami wins, no contest.

I dive San Diego a few times a year and it's consistantly 53 degrees on the bottom. That's a BIG difference from Miami's worst case 72.... Lot's of folks here can dive all year in a 3mm full suit. Try that in SoCal.

Also, Cuba is 90 miles from Key West, not Miami. Not that it's important since we can't go there (yet).

Assuming you're calling the shots, if diving is as important to you as your posts seem to indicate, and your family really is near the Palos Verdes price range, you will find it buys a house in intimate contact with the water. You may want to consider residing in the upper Keys and commuting to the mainland. In LA and Miami, diving is merely one of a myriad of activities to pursue. In the Keys, its a way of life.

I dive here in Miami every weekend , last sundays water temp was 87 degrees. and with over 50wrecks in the miami area alone, Not counting another 50 or 60 up in fort lauderdale , makes it the wreck capitol of the states. wouldnt want to dive anywere else.

Walter:
Miami isn't ideal for anything. The Lauderdale area has better diving and they speak English.

Wow, Walter! Is someone spoofing your ID or something? I never thought I would hear sentiment like that coming from you. Not everyone speaks English in Cozumel, but that certainly wouldn't be a reason not to go there to dive, would it?

I like diving in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach and the Keys. They all have something to offer. I live in Miami Beach, and I love it. If someone is looking for the advantages of city living and the beauty of the ocean, Miami offers both.

Almost everyone speaks English here these days. I have lived here since 1981. So, I would know.

One advantage FL has over CA is that you can legally arm yourself without a great deal of trouble, if you're so inclined. It's a better state in many ways, from a gun owners point of view, but in particular it's a "shall-issue" state. There are clearly defined steps to take to get a permit to carry a concealed handgun, so you do have the option of equipping yourself to fight back.

Then there's taxes...

what about the weather? humidity, rain, bugs? I will find out in in a couple of weeks, as we are heading to the keys for some divning.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom