Miami Diving worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fires

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

Looking for some travel advice for a South African travelling to the USA.

I am in Miami from the 13th to the 19th and have an available day on the 16th to dive. It is my very first time in the States and would like to dive, but am very spoilt with the diving we have at home in Sodwana bay.

Saying that, is it worth it diving out of Miami for a 2 tanker one day?
What is the cost involved in a two tank dive please?
And what is the diving like?

Any suggestions on good dive ops/places to stay etc.? I am in Fort Lauderdale from the 13th - 15th and then would like to move on to Miami until the 18th when I fly out again.

Any other suggestions for a first timer?

Thanks a mil guys!

I haven’t dove in South Africa to compare, and my experience is in Ft Lauderdale area, but things are pretty similar. Vis can be a 30’ on a crap day or 150’ on a good day. There are decent reefs but nothing like the Keys/Caribbean. Water temperature is usually upper 70’s-low 80’s.
I prefer to shore dive in that area, but you can get charters for around $100. Rental equipment is in the vicinity of $50/day.
It all depends on what you consider “worth it”.

I've dived from Key West through West Palm Beach, including Fort Lauderdale and Lantana, and up to Orlando (if you count diving in the aquarium at Epcot.

It's worth a 1 hr+ drive south to Key Largo or 1 hr+ north to West Palm to do the wrecks.

I've never dived Miami because I haven't read about anything worth doing there- and I've read a LOT about Florida diving.

If you don't want to travel then dive off of Fort Lauderdale. It's good, but not great. I dived there last weeks and the reefs were lackluster to poor, but the wreck we did was a nice dive.

I haven’t dove in South Africa to compare, and my experience is in Ft Lauderdale area, but things are pretty similar. Vis can be a 30’ on a crap day or 150’ on a good day. There are decent reefs but nothing like the Keys/Caribbean. Water temperature is usually upper 70’s-low 80’s.
I prefer to shore dive in that area, but you can get charters for around $100. Rental equipment is in the vicinity of $50/day.
It all depends on what you consider “worth it”.

I've dived from Key West through West Palm Beach, including Fort Lauderdale and Lantana, and up to Orlando (if you count diving in the aquarium at Epcot.

It's worth a 1 hr+ drive south to Key Largo or 1 hr+ north to West Palm to do the wrecks.

I've never dived Miami because I haven't read about anything worth doing there- and I've read a LOT about Florida diving.

If you don't want to travel then dive off of Fort Lauderdale. It's good, but not great. I dived there last weeks and the reefs were lackluster to poor, but the wreck we did was a nice dive.

I did Ft. Lauderdale and was not impressed. I'd make the small drive and go down to Key Largo.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

I have decided after reading the feedback here/looking at prices/looking at reviews of the dive centres, to rather not dive in Miami unless that's what it comes too.

I am in Dubai first, so will give the wreck diving there a go.

If any of you are ever in sunny South Africa, feel free to give me a shout and i'll let you know about all the diving here :)

Cheers!

I am in Dubai first, so will give the wreck diving there a go.

When are you in Dubai?

The vis off Dubai is rubbish, however the east coast (Fujairah) has better vis and depending on your qualifications there are some wrecks from 20m to 110m.

When are you in Dubai?

The vis off Dubai is rubbish, however the east coast (Fujairah) has better vis and depending on your qualifications there are some wrecks from 20m to 110m.

Thanks for the info.

I am landing on the 6th of April and have the 8th, 9th or 10th available to dive as I fly to FLL on the 13th early early.

Most operators I have contacted have said Fujairah too. I am just struggling to comprehend the travel cost of 400-500AED to get there and back for the day. My brother might be able to take me, but that's what I am working with for now.

The other operators said they had no trips on the Dubai side for those days and thus suggested Fuj.

We'll pass by in the airport, I'm off to dive in Anilao for a week.

Water temps are 23C at the moment, so be prepared. Barracuda at Fujairah would be good for Inchcape 10 (24m) or further north at Dibba you could try Freestyle, they might be diving Inchcape 1 (30m). Avoid Al Boom if you can, they run busy cattle boats for want of a better description.

A fellow S. African @RainPilot might be able to help out. He usually dives with Freestyle

Cheers

Hey @Fires drop me a PM, we can hook you up with a ride to the east coast way cheaper than that. If my schedule allows I may come diving with you.

We'll pass by in the airport, I'm off to dive in Anilao for a week.

Water temps are 23C at the moment, so be prepared. Barracuda at Fujairah would be good for Inchcape 10 (24m) or further north at Dibba you could try Freestyle, they might be diving Inchcape 1 (30m). Avoid Al Boom if you can, they run busy cattle boats for want of a better description.

A fellow S. African @RainPilot might be able to help out. He usually dives with Freestyle

Cheers

Ah awesome :p Well enjoy that! I wouldn't mind that for a week or 4 :)

Thanks for the heads-up, although 23 is still half decent compared to our inland diving here :p. Although saying that we have been spoilt the last weeks with warm weather and water :D

Thanks for the input. Sho! I had already spoken to Al Boom asking about rates and things :eek: Luckily I haven't booked anything. Also spoke to divers down.

Thanks for the ping to him, I will respond below.

Hey @Fires drop me a PM, we can hook you up with a ride to the east coast way cheaper than that. If my schedule allows I may come diving with you.

Howzit, thanks for the reply! That would be awesome :) I'll send you a pm shortly :) Would be awesome to have some dives together!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom