Mfr's selling directly to the public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil,
First of all I haven't turned anyone in as of this point, getting the binding ruling from the state is the first step into dealing with this as they will not investigate it without it. As we've discussed, theres no need to do business with manufacturers that want to play both sides of the fence, I've spent a good deal of time digesting the real facts of this issue, as a legitimate business obviously we have great more to lose by both staying quiet about it or by speaking up about it. Here in Florida, you can't really swing a bat and not hit instructor, class competition really isn't much of an issue when all the cards are laid out on the table, and yes instructional materials direct is an age old problem, one that likely wont go away.

Schott

I know of a Scuba business here in Ga that is really a one guy op plus a contracted instructor. He does not have a store front but does sell dive gear to his students. He buys from the Manufacturer and resells to his students

Thats pretty much the same example except it appears its also happening in Ga :wink:

I have something similar going on in my town. I'm a legitimate dive shop, store front, insurances, licenses, etc. We had 2, now just one, independent instructors calling themselves shops and buying from manufacturers. I let it slide until the one guy starts advertising like hes a dive shop in the local paper, when he's working illegily out of his house.
So I sent a pm to this particular manufacturers rep here on Scuba Board, not the rep for this area, just one who hangs out here. I ask him if they have requirements for dealers, he says yes. Having a store & teaching classes are a couple. I pm him back to ask if they consider a persons home a store. Its illegal in this town to run a retail business from your home. They had 2 shops listed on their website as dealers, both addresses were residential districts, homes, not stores.
The next day, I get a call from this manufacturers rep of this area. I point these same facts out to him, blah, blah, blah. Says he'll get back to me in a couple days. Haven't heard another word from him. I really don't think they care. So, I refuse to do business with a company such as this and will not speak highly of them to anyone. I think practices like this are bad for the industry. I have no problem with competition, but we should be playing the same game. I have taken Phils advice and I provide a superior service than the other guy. But it still bugs the heck outta ya!

Thanks Dale, I've sent you a PM with the specifics for our area, we have ceased doing business with these companies since there really isnt anything in their lineup we cannot get elsewhere, and actively trying to determine who else is selling to them. We have shared these manufacturers with the others shops locally, we're awaiting a binding opinion from the state to decide how we proceed from here. I would also urge you to check you local area on the DEMA site under the Industry Search and find out just how many other folks are represented as retailers in your area that shouldn't be.

Schott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom