Mexico situation - Liveaboards coming up - What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kleinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With increased violence and all out cartel war on in Sinaloa due to the arrest of Guzman's son, multiple countries now advising their citizens to stay away or travel with increased caution if they go to Mexico.

I myself have Socorro trip booked in February. Is anyone else following the news and potentially reconsidering their trip, or am I being overly cautious?

Some Advisory Links:

Map from US Gov advisory map of Mexico.

Absolutely not reconsidering our trip to Baja in a few weeks, it'll be great. Situational awareness is your friend. I've been to dozens of countries during travel advisories, sometimes to the specific region the advisory is for. It has always been fine, listen to the locals and use common sense. Besides, you'll be out on a boat anyway. You are more likely to have bad luck driving at home than you are with cartel violence in Mexico. If you do cancel let us know, someone will appreciate the last minute deal they'll get!

Where do you fly into? Where do you get on the boat?

Unless you are traveling in Obregon or Culiacan (where most of the violence is) I wouldn't worry too much about it. I agree once you are out on the boat you will be isolated from whatever is happening on the mainland.

I would watch things closely but as it stands today I would go.

Situational awareness is your friend. I've been to dozens of countries during travel advisories, sometimes to the specific region the advisory is for. It has always been fine, listen to the locals and use common sense. Besides, you'll be out on a boat anyway. You are more likely to have bad luck driving at home than you are with cartel violence in Mexico.
I have done several trips before to zones around the world too, like diving in Mozambique during the Renamo insurgency, but now I have a family with small kids, so it's a bit different. Getting bombarded with travel advisory news from the in-laws – Reasoning arguing about being 100 miles off shore doesnt help, let's just say it makes the trip less enjoyable :wink:.

I just email the consulate in Cabos San Lucas to hear what they have to say.

I just email the consulate in Cabos San Lucas to hear what they have to say.
They are going to repeat what's in the Travel Advisory. It's the only thing they can do officially.

Realistically you'll be safe going from airport to hotel to boat, but good luck with the in-laws.

I agree that you'll most likely be OK.......but now might be a good time to contact your live-aboard operator to see what their policies on travel advisories or bans are if things should escalate or change..... You might also want to confirm what your trip insurance provider will or will not cover....if you have travel insurance.

Where do you fly into? Where do you get on the boat?
This. I'm thinking it's the mainland and not Baja where the violence is happening. It will be interesting to see if the consulate does anything more than send the OP the link to the travel advisory he already found.

Outside of Cozumel or Los Cabos to get on a liveaboard, I am avoiding Mexico altogether - and certain operators are not to be even considered.

There are literally thousands of tourists who fly into San Jose del Cabo every day. Lots are headed to Cabo San Lucas but many go elsewhere on the Baja. Pick yourself a place to stay before/after your liveaboard trip that is in a part of town you're comfortable with and enjoy the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom