"Mexico Safer than Headlines Indicate"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, risk of petty thievery and street gang activity in urban centers hardly give me pause. Risk of kidnapping, murder, assault while minding my own business driving through the countryside? You betcha

one can be easily avoided, the other not so much

So on Coz, its okay to go back in the hood, but I should be careful driving out in the middle of nowhere to get to Playa Bonita? :fear:

My head isn't in the sand, I've got plenty of information, and my eyes are always open, no worries. Just don't see why some people need to be so shrill in their nit picking. Make your point, say your piece, and get over it. Or not, I guess. Hell, I'm outa here, going to Mexico in 5 days, and I'm going to have FUN ;-)

So on Coz, its okay to go back in the hood, but I should be careful driving out in the middle of nowhere to get to Playa Bonita? :fear:

Coming up next on the US State Department website :
Playa Bonita is located on the wild caribbean coast of Cozumel, 20 miles from civilisation.

There is no cell phone reception there, US citizens who insist on visiting this remote, isolated part of the island should therefore plan their visit with extreme caution. Risks can be mitigated by carrying a functionning satellite phone at all times. The restaurants being closed before 9 am and after 5 pm, visitors should carry water, beer and food supplies in case of an emergency, as well as a portable potty.

Visitors must be aware that driving a moving vehicle in that area significantly increases their risk of death and injury. Slow bumps called topes are common on the road, as well as pot holes. The bewitching beauty of the landscape, as well as the presence of sunbathing topless women on some stretches of the beaches also commonly distract drivers, amplifying the danger of accidents in that area.

All drivers must also be warned than strong winds are common along that road, presenting additionnal dangers. They can make your vehicle swerve. Furthermore, the kite boarders riding in the nearby ocean can be caught in wind currents and crash into your moving vehicle.

It is of utmost importance that visitors also abstain from walking, sunbathing, relaxing, swimming and generally engaging in any type of activity in the area, due to the risks of, among countless others, contracting a tropical disease after being bitten by a mosquito, getting sunburnt, being run over by a car while crossing the road, cutting your foot on coral, being caught in an undercurrent, getting hair frizzles from wave mist, falling off the steps of Coconut's after too many margaritas…

For all these reasons, you should absolutely avoid visiting Playa Bonita and the entire uncivilized East coast of Cozumel unless touring with the Navy Seals.

:cool2:

I couldn't disagree more with your portrayal of the state department assessments.

That said, LOL touché [-]mon frere[/-] ma soeur! Funny stuff [-]man[/-] madame! :rofl3:

Last edited:
Please call me "ma sœur". Last I checked, I was still a woman :wink:

So which decision I made put me in greater danger? (I'm seriously asking)
a) Around 11:00 AM, I walked from Cozumel Scuba Repair to right around Cheduri(sp?) a few weeks back- my route of choice was basically walking due west from CSP.

b) visiting Ankor Wat in Cambodia in the mid-1990s

apples to oranges? perhaps, but hey it's my analogy. :wink:

OMG really? A bunch guys sitting around talking about how scary and unsafe Cozumel is... I guess you haven't been to Miami... Atleast the police in coz are cool, cuz in Miami they suck. Try paying off cop in Miami see where that takes you, ha ha... 100$ gets you a get out of jail free card in coz. Were Mexico's bread and butter, are kidding with bs propaganda. Mexico loves us, you can't say that about many other countries these day.

Christi and all of the other fanbois...
And that's as far as I get before I shut down. When someone resorts to namecalling, I pretty much assume that they don't have much to say that I would be interested in reading.

Well, i was in Cozumel in October and i have to say....i felt safer there then my home town here on the east coast Canada. Right up until the day we were scheduled to leave and got the Hurricane evacuation notice under our door anyways.

Back
Top Bottom