Mexico / questions about safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are no safety issues in Cozumel. It is safer than any city in the USA. The same applies to Playa del Carmen. I have a seasonal home there and feel as 'safe' as I do here in London, Ontario. Five years ago my wife and I travelled for over a month across the Yucatan to Palenque and then down through Guatemala to visit Tikal. We then headed to Belize and came back up the coast to Cancun. We travelled by bus and stayed in 25-30 $ hotels. That was the year I turned 50 and we had a 9 year old boy in tow. Not once in the 5 weeks was I concerned. The worst thing that happened was getting overcharged by taxi drivers in Flores in Guatemala. The gang/drug activity is not present in the tourist areas of Cozumel and PDC. You need to go to the north where the supply lines to the US are located. This is not a Mexican issue but a 'US supply' issue. Anyways - the politics aside - Cozumel is a safe vacation destination. Leave your fears at home and book that holiday. PM me if you need any more info.

Ray,

I was in Cancun in March with my wife and kids (high school and college ages...the kids, I mean). It was not the "wild west" kind of situation the press might lead you to believe exits. We took the local buses everywhere and walked around downtown Cancun in the evenings. For sure, I was "on guard" at these times but I never felt threatened and we never had any problems. We frequently asked for directions from the locals (lucky my sons speak a bit of Spanish) and always got polite and helpful responses.

We also spent an evening on Isla Mujeres, which I gather is like a mini Cozumel. Very low key and never had a bad feeling.

From what I gathered, all the big problems are in the border towns. Like someone else said, the areas that are conduits for drugs to the US. Everything I read from the State Dept. confirmed this. The warnings I saw that pertained to the resort areas mostly warned college spring-breakers to be careful about doing things they are prone to do...drink heavily and maybe seek out illegal substances.

I figured that these areas are so heavily dependent on tourist $$ that they are sure to keep things safe for us. No one wants to "kill the golden goose", metaphorically speaking, of course.

I would have no problem going back the the area again. The people are wonderful and the culture very rich. Oh yeah: the diving is excellent too! My recommendation is, by all means, go. Read what others on this site and sites like Trip Advisor say about general safety in foreign countries and Mexico specifically and you won't have any problems.

Enjoy!

I have no problems with going on vacation and taking my family to Mexico. I have never had a bad experience there on vacation. Although working in Mexico, I have worked in Saltillo and Nuevo Laredo and those have been interesting, to say the least.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Cancun with my family (kids, 2 and 4) and went to Isla Mujeres and the flea markets in Cancun. Took the bus. No problems. I was in Puerto Vallarta in the fall and again no problems. Took my kiddies downtown PV at night to see the boardwalk and local festivals. Last year, we went to Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo and took them into Zihua with no issues or problems.

I agree with the OPs that things are kinda of scary in the border towns or industrial towns. When working in Nuevo Laredo one time, the newly appointed police chief was assassinated and US border patrol seized something like 3 tons of weed in a container truck. I would not take my family to those places, but wouldn't think twice about taking them to tourist spots.

Following up,

B. Obama will be in DF tomorrow with F. Calderon.

Hope you all go down to Vallarta some time !

Happy diving !

I am three days into a week long vacation in Cancun. My wife, two kids and grandparents have been all over, the taking the buses everywhere. We've had no problems whatsoever. We went down town at night to eat a nice restaurant and everyone was very helpful. I'm sure that crime exists in the city, but it's not with the tourists. I suppose if you want to find trouble you could, but traveling in normal visitor's circles will not take you to those places.

Come down and enjoy what this great country has to offer!

PH

Thanks to all for the support on visiting this country even when there is a campaign against visiting this country, the problems are drug lords killing each other but that has never anything to do with tourism at all at least these parts but specially cozumel is super safe, obviously there is always the wise taxi guy or timeshare pressure but that is about it...

I live here with my brother and my father, have been for about 10 months now. Moved here from Colorado after taking some time off of school. As far as safety goes Playa Del Carmen is completely safe. Of course there is crime and places you shouldn't go, but that is the case it is in any city. In Colorado there are so many more crimes such as murders, shootings, robberies, and etc. I truly believe that the Yucatan is a safe place and it is a shame that Mexico gets such a bad reputation due to the border towns (which not many tourists even go to). This is a beautiful country and has so much to offer and I think the more people start realizing this, the sooner they might change their attitudes about it.

I mean I am going to the mountains of Chiapas this coming week to look for Orchids. How many places in the world do you have that option? This is just a beautifully vast country and that beauty gets overshadowed by what the media shows people.

Back
Top Bottom