Mexico City Layover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yodelhawk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to Coz the end of next month and have about a 22 hour layover in MC. Thought I'd use the time to see a little of the place and crash in a hotel before the next flight. I did a search on the forum and the last time I saw anything on this was from 2003. Anybody have any suggestions as to where to stay and what to do in this limited amount of time? Any help would be welcome. TIA

Since this is a non-dive-related question, you might get more responses on a general travel forum, such as Tripadvisor's forum or Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. What would I do if I had 22 hours in Mexico City? Hmm. I like to eat. I'd eat a lot of tacos from the street vendors! I'd stay somewhere central--pick a hotel in the Roma or Condesa neighborhoods, which are sure bets for comfort and convenience. Take a taxi over to the Zocalo or main square and walk around. Stop to eat somewhere. Visit the archaeological excavations/museum there. If you like to walk, you could walk one way or even both ways to/from hotel to Zocalo. Sights along the way would include the Bellas Artes building, parks, etc. If you have time, visit Chapultepec Park, which is a really nice and very large city park. That's more than enough to keep you occupied during a 22-hour layover.

I don't know if this might come a little too late for you... If you are flying into Mexico City (MEX) as opposed to Toluca(TLC), then I would suggest to grab a room at the airport hotel (I think it's a Camino Real or something like that ). a 22 hour layover isn't really much time to explore such a large city. If you're into museums, there are tons of them that you could check out (I love Museo del Objeto). Traffic in Mexico City is always brutal. It can take you hours to go just a few miles up the road, which is why I suggest staying in the airport hotel instead of elsewhere in the city. if you do decide to stay elsewhere in the city, then plan to leave several hours ahead or you could risk missing your flight.
If you fly into Toluca (TLC), then you're sort of S.O.L. Not a whole lot to do there...

hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom