Metalsub HID200 (50 Watt HID) Canister Lights are now on sale in the US and Canada.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
I am with Boogie on this one. If your light has a 10 degree "spot" then I aint gonna buy it. No matter how many Germans you may know with tank bangers !

Thanks for your input, I will get the Metalsub owner Rob de Rijk working on a 6 degree spot reflector for the entire metalsub line, Halogen and HID lights. Metalsub has no experience selling in the North America so any needs or enhancements you think we should make please tell me.

For a 6 degrees beam, it certainly isn't any need for 50 watts of HID. I'd say 21 watts is plenty for signalling, and most times a 6 degrees 10 watts will do nicely, if the rest of your buddies have equivalent lights. The use for a 50 watt hid would certainly be for wide beam, to whatever use you will have for a wide beam. This would be (perhaps) photo/video. At 10 degrees the 50 watt HID would make a perfect search light, or just plain open water night dives with not so much need for signalling.

Disclaimer:
-Based solely on my own experience with interchangeable reflectors and changing bulbs on my Halogen light (30, 50 and 100 watt Xenophot).

Metalsub USA:
Thanks for your input, I will get the Metalsub owner Rob de Rijk working on a 6 degree spot reflector for the entire metalsub line, Halogen and HID lights. Metalsub has no experience selling in the North America so any needs or enhancements you think we should make please tell me.

Don't feel the need to redesign the whole line-up based on a few individuals reluctance to change. The 10' reflector would be just as good to signal with if the person knows how to signal properly.......heck if you really need to signal to your buddy, yelling at them would be sufficient OR you are too far to begin with.

Just try to make do with what you have, without blaming others for the lack of experience, know-how or poor equipment choices based on some odd practice.

Tamas:
Don't feel the need to redesign the whole line-up based on a few individuals reluctance to change. The 10' reflector would be just as good to signal with if the person knows how to signal properly.......heck if you really need to signal to your buddy, yelling at them would be sufficient OR you are too far to begin with.

Just try to make do with what you have, without blaming others for the lack of experience, know-how or poor equipment choices based on some odd practice.

LOL - are you seriously saying that using a thin beam of light for signalling is "some odd practice?" Seriously? :D

Just my 2 cent's here, I dive allot with cave diver's using both 10 Watt Hid's, and 21 watt Hid's, And I have to say, using the 21 watt Hid myself , ( my Buddie's light ) , that when I did use it for the " OK " signal, I did not tighten the beam down to 6 degree's, as it is to much light, I was probably around 10 to 13 degree's , because being so bright, I found it wasn't like using a 10 watt Hid like I normally use, and turn it all the way in, to 6 degree's.

I would have to agree with Tamas here, a 10 degree light head would be just fine for signaling I think " my opinion " .

That's a nice light, I was looking to get a 21 watt Hid here soon, but I saw your 50 watt HID on Ebay, for around $1,500 , and I was thinking of trying it out. I would love to see a 50 Watt Hid in use, I'm hoping someone here buys one, so I can see their response, and the pro's and con's , weight , size of the light head, burn time's, etc, beautiful light though!!

Good luck in the USA , if it sells well, hopefully the price's will drop on HID's period :wink:

I remember when they advertised that UK light as "taking the sun underwater".

50 Watts?!? WOW. That's like taking the Sun, AND his big brother Timmy underwater.

Would love to see one of those in action on a night dive. You could probably "hear" the beam underwater (thinking of a noise not unlike a lightsaber).

"What's that over there?"

<wooooooomb>

;-)

D.

Daylonious:
Would love to see one of those in action on a night dive. You could probably "hear" the beam underwater (thinking of a noise not unlike a lightsaber).

"What's that over there?"

<wooooooomb>

;-)

D.

Monofilament has met its match.

wow, I think it would be interesting to see. I have a 10w and it's been great for me so far, but am finding out that the 21w would probably be better for signalling, etc.

I think it is impressive for metalsub to look at these messages and agree to look at them as options for improvement instead of the cheap shots they were intended to be. From a customer service perspective, they may have something here.

How do we get one to test? I'd be happy to do a writeup on it and then send it back... :)

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom