Metalsub HID200 (50 Watt HID) Canister Lights are now on sale in the US and Canada.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metalsub USA

Registered
Reaction score
Metalsub Product, including their great line of HID Canister Lights are now available in the US and Canada.

The HID125 uses a very robust, 24 Watt Brightstar HID bulb with a life expectancy of 1500 hour and is more shock resistant than any filament Halogen bulb in the dive industry today.

The HID200 uses the robust D2S 50 Watt HID bulb used by the automotive industry for headlights in Mercedes, BMW, and Audi cars. The D2S has a life expectancy of 2000 hour and is the brightest light in the dive industry today putting out about 100 lumens per watt. We are so confident in these HID bulbs that Metalsub USA guarantees them against burnout or breakage for one year from the date of purchase!!!! The battery cells are also guaranteed for one year, and the construction and manufacture of this set is guaranteed for two years. If your Metalsub systems leaks or breaks in the first two years we will repair it for free!!!!

Another unique feature of the Metalsub HID lights are the Battery Capacity Indicator LED at the back of the light, which always lets you know how much power is in the battery.

Take a look at www.metalsub.nl or for US sales www.metalsub-usa.com for more information or ask me as many questions as you like.

50 Watt HID? Dang! I was just getting use to trumping other divers with my 24 watt Salvo... Too much light is barely enough...

Can you focus the light head, and what sort of burn times can you expect with the 50 watt?

Cheers,
Rohan.

DANG! That is one strong light! I like the "power remaining" feature.

But one question, why use NiCad pack on the 24W, why not NiMH?

Thank you Rohan,

Dang! is right, imagine getting in the water with a Mercedes headlight on high beam in your hand which only weighs 3 ounces underwater? And the battery pack attaches to your air tank with a quick release bracket.

Can you focus the light head?

Metalsub lights are not adjustable underwater, you can however buy the HID200 and the HID125 with a 10 degree spot or 60 degree flood reflector. Metalsub targets the high-end sport, technical, and commercial dive markets so the lights and battery packs are designed for strength. In our extensive pressure testing the HID200 has never leaked at any seals, at just over 70 Bar the quarts glass lens cracks and implodes. 70 Bar is about 2310 ft of seawater!!! Test-tube adjustable lights can’t take these pressures.

What sort of burn times can you expect with the 50 watt?

The HID200 is a Variable power output HID with three steps, 28 watt, 35 watt, and 50 watt full power. We sell three battery pack sizes, 5.5 Ah, 9 Ah, and 13 Ah all 12 Volt.

Burn times:
5.5 Ah = appr. 115 - 65 minutes
9 Ah = appr. 196 – 110 minutes
13 Ah = appr. 320 – 180 minutes

You can checkout the users Manual at:

http://www.metalsub.nl/eng/handleidingen/Kabellamp%20HID200%202005%20.pdf

Thank you for your questions Rohan.

Hello Tamas,

The power remaining indicator adds piece of mind and an extra degree of safety for the diver, and it’s in an easy to see location.

Why use NiCad pack on the 24W, why not NiMH?

The HID125 is listed with the NiCad battery pack purely to market that set as the cheapest entry level combo set we sell. All metalsub lights works with all our battery packs. The NiMH are better than NiCad but they are more costly. I would naturally recommend the HID125 light with the PR12085 or FX1209 Battery packs.

Thank you for your question Tamas

Metalsub USA:
Metalsub lights are not adjustable underwater, you can however buy the HID200 and the HID125 with a 10 degree spot or 60 degree flood reflector. Metalsub targets the high-end sport, technical, and commercial dive markets so the lights and battery packs are designed for strength. In our extensive pressure testing the HID200 has never leaked at any seals, at just over 70 Bar the quarts glass lens cracks and implodes. 70 Bar is about 2310 ft of seawater!!! Test-tube adjustable lights can’t take these pressures.

Sartek has tested their lights to over 3500 fsw.. They have several ROV and Research subs as customers..

padiscubapro:
Sartek has tested their lights to over 3500 fsw.. They have several ROV and Research subs as customers..

Indeed... and with all due respect, Metalsub - 10 degrees would hardly qualify as "spot." For those of you who think this light would be good for technical diving applications, it would be next to impossible to signal your dive team with a ten degree beam.

Boogie711:
Indeed... and with all due respect, Metalsub - 10 degrees would hardly qualify as "spot." For those of you who think this light would be good for technical diving applications, it would be next to impossible to signal your dive team with a ten degree beam.

Thank you padiscubapro, I didn’t know that some Sartek’s were rated to that depth.

For Boobie711

How do you signal other members of you dive team? 5000 lumen of light with shine pretty far underwater and the HID200 and HID125 can both be hotstriked in rapid machinegun succession without damaging the bulb or electronics.

I will be quarry dive this coming weekend and will take some comparison photos with the HID200 (50 watt HID) and a 10 Watt HID. I’ll put them online and post the URL for all.

Metalsub USA:
Thank you padiscubapro, I didn’t know that some Sartek’s were rated to that depth.

For Boobie711

How do you signal other members of you dive team? 5000 lumen of light with shine pretty far underwater and the HID200 and HID125 can both be hotstriked in rapid machinegun succession without damaging the bulb or electronics.

I will be quarry dive this coming weekend and will take some comparison photos with the HID200 (50 watt HID) and a 10 Watt HID. I’ll put them online and post the URL for all.

Do you honestly need to ask this question?

With the thinnest possible beam I can get. I use it for command signals (OK?/Not OK?), emergency signals, and to direct attention. I sure as heck don't use a 'series of flashing lights with a hot-strikable light.' Not only would that take two hands, but it would be irritating and confusing as hell.

Boogie711:
Do you honestly need to ask this question?

With the thinnest possible beam I can get. I use it for command signals (OK?/Not OK?), emergency signals, and to direct attention. I sure as heck don't use a 'series of flashing lights with a hot-strikable light.' Not only would that take two hands, but it would be irritating and confusing as hell.

Yes Boogie711, I honestly needed to ask.

Many different international clubs and training agencies use different techniques for signalling and I wanted to know what your group of divers use. I once dove with a group of German divers on a wreck in the Baltic Sea that used simple Morris code produced by tank knockers to communicate and send short commands, it was very useful when multiple buddy groups are out of “line of sight” on a large wreck.

Back
Top Bottom