Metal detectors ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to hear the Tesoro works for you. We just picked one up and had its first outing today with it. We struck paydirt and made .51, some nails and a bunch of hot wheels cars while running around the beach for a couple hours. :D We purchased the sandshark instead because we are a salty bunch and want to take it into the oceans and bays around here.

I'm new just signed up today but am an avid TH. I too have the Tesoro Tiger Shark and love it, it is my go to machine. The other ones I have is the AquaPulse 8" coil and also with the probe (I use this when there are a lot of rocks around) also have an Excal II 8" coil. Metal detectors are like anything else the more you use it the better you get at it, with my machines I know a low growl is going to be a good find, (Mostly) I use the Excal mainly for salt water and sometimes the aquapulse. All of them you can use in Freshwater. Tesoro has the best warranty, had an issue with mine sent it in no problem back in 10 days, great customer service.
Most of the time I end up cleaning up the area from all the junk people throw in the water , lately a lot of sunglasses and those cheap titanium rings.

lately a lot of sunglasses and those cheap titanium rings.

I hate those stupid Ti and TC rings!

I was mainly Hookah and detecting until I got certified. Now it just depends on what kind of mood I am in. With the hookah I have to wear a lot of weight to stay on the bottom. Usually about 32 lbs with the hookah and about half that with my scuba setup, also 4lbs on ankles. I don't wear fins and I do walk along the bottom :eyebrow:

About handles my Aquapulse is the shortest at 18", Tiger Shark and Excal are both 32"

Oldschool-

Can't tell ya 100%..but I CAN give ya my personal opinion based on experiance...
I too...am a dedicated freshwater hunter. I hunt the Great lakes and inland lakes here in Wisconsin. I'm also a bit of a gold bug...so wanted a machine that would work in that area as well.
My primary targets while water hunting are rings, chains, and jewelry. So....again...gold was the primary target.
Started with a Garrett Seahunter Mk II...PI machine. Great piece of equipment. A real monster to haul around. Consistant to 6-8 " in freshwater. no real complaints...except...no discrimination. Also...another 100 bucks for a proper dive shaft.
Tried an AT....ummm...no thanks. too many freakin bells and whistles and the visual display?...wtf. I REALLY...don't need all that.
Spent a year researching...reading...asking around..before I made my decision.
Tesoro Tigershark. Hands down. Tough, been around forever, great support...and it just freakin works. No fancy VDI, bells or whistles. The factory shaft system is multi configurable...and did I mention..it just plain freakin WORKS?

You can buy 2 1/2 brand new Tigersharks for the price of a single Excal....don't get me wrong..Excals a GREAT machine..if ya spent 2 years learning its freakin tones. But..truth be told?..The Tiger picks up..I mean SNIFFS...earring backs buried 10" deep ... single tone...but it WILL talk to you if you listen. Buy a Tesoro Tigershark for freshwater precious metals.....you really can't go wrong imo.

BTW..FACT...My Tigershark paid for itself..(650.00)...in 59 minutes ITS FIRST OUTING... Rose gold mens wedding band...hit with AUTHORITY at 9" of marl and silt at 13'.

Yeah..I'm a Tesora fan.

Bubs

(BTW....this evening?...for fun...hit a local town swimming area. 1 womans ring...heart shaped encrusted with small diamonds...not real expensive but so what?...and a womens hoop earring sterling silver. The hoop was at least 8" deep.)

Everything that I have read says that you can't use metal detectors underwater in WI. Our dive club was going to buy one for us to use as a club as we search the lakes for treasures in southeastern WI. Are we wrong and that you can?

Trunkmonkee-

Unless I miss my guess...your real question is "Is it LEGAL" to utilize a metak detector in Wi waters. The answer is "Yes...and no".
All navigable waterways in WI are under WI DNR jurisriction. State Parks require a "one time use" permit at the specific site IF..and BIG IF.... the site Superintendant will grant a permit.
As to the rest of State waters NOT a park...NO.. UNLESS...again...you have a specific one time use permit from DNR. Is it a hassle?...yeah. But its what it is. I run a small Search and recovery side from our LDS. And Happen to know the appropriate DNR contact. For me at this point...its an email or phone call.

Bubs

Thanks for the info on that. It is always something I have wanted to do in the lake where I live as I was told many mobster used to be in the area and hang out on the lakes in East Troy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom