Metal detectors ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freshwater searching for coins and jewelry. Ok, stay FAR away from pulse induction (PI) detectors. You will never believe how many nails, brads, pins, bolts and fishhooks are in the water until you try to use a PI detector. Freshwater makes it worse because iron doesn't rust away nearly as fast as it does in salt.

First off, 2 detectors to stay away from at the Minelab CTX and Garrett AT-Pro / AT-Gold. These are listed as "waterproof" but they are really only highly resistant. You will be lucky if you get one to 10 feet without a leak.

So, what are you left with for options...

The Minelab excalibur. Probably the highest selling and most expensive option. It's a great detector but it's main strength is dealing with conductive salts while discing out iron.

Tesoro Tigershark (NOT SANDSHARK). Another good VLF, depth rated to 200ft

Fisher 1280X, and Fisher CZ-21

I have an excalibur but I'm not 100% happy. When they work they are AWESOME, but there seems to be a lot of QC issues and repair times are slow. I have seen a lot of happy people using CZ-21s. Since you aren't dealing with salt, the excal loses it's one advantage. I have no experience with the tesoros but they do come with lifetime warranty.

My current go-to for freshwater diving is my White's SurfMaster2. It's out of production but if you can find a good used one, I highly recommend it. It has a neutral buoyancy coil, a diver-shaft is available, simple o-ring seal that works, and great disc ability focused on the low-end. These are often sold by unknowing people as an "amphibian 2" because that is what is on the coil.

Thank you for the info and pointing me in the right direction

Jim

You guys cut down the handles ? Seems like it would be a bit to handle underwater at full size for walking... I'm thinking more like 3' or so.... OR Do I wear steel hardhat diving shoes and walk along the bottom...:shocked2:

Jim...

Oldschool-

Can't tell ya 100%..but I CAN give ya my personal opinion based on experiance...
I too...am a dedicated freshwater hunter. I hunt the Great lakes and inland lakes here in Wisconsin. I'm also a bit of a gold bug...so wanted a machine that would work in that area as well.
My primary targets while water hunting are rings, chains, and jewelry. So....again...gold was the primary target.
Started with a Garrett Seahunter Mk II...PI machine. Great piece of equipment. A real monster to haul around. Consistant to 6-8 " in freshwater. no real complaints...except...no discrimination. Also...another 100 bucks for a proper dive shaft.
Tried an AT....ummm...no thanks. too many freakin bells and whistles and the visual display?...wtf. I REALLY...don't need all that.
Spent a year researching...reading...asking around..before I made my decision.
Tesoro Tigershark. Hands down. Tough, been around forever, great support...and it just freakin works. No fancy VDI, bells or whistles. The factory shaft system is multi configurable...and did I mention..it just plain freakin WORKS?

You can buy 2 1/2 brand new Tigersharks for the price of a single Excal....don't get me wrong..Excals a GREAT machine..if ya spent 2 years learning its freakin tones. But..truth be told?..The Tiger picks up..I mean SNIFFS...earring backs buried 10" deep ... single tone...but it WILL talk to you if you listen. Buy a Tesoro Tigershark for freshwater precious metals.....you really can't go wrong imo.

BTW..FACT...My Tigershark paid for itself..(650.00)...in 59 minutes ITS FIRST OUTING... Rose gold mens wedding band...hit with AUTHORITY at 9" of marl and silt at 13'.

Yeah..I'm a Tesora fan.

Bubs

(BTW....this evening?...for fun...hit a local town swimming area. 1 womans ring...heart shaped encrusted with small diamonds...not real expensive but so what?...and a womens hoop earring sterling silver. The hoop was at least 8" deep.)

Oldschool-

Can't tell ya 100%..but I CAN give ya my personal opinion based on experiance...
I too...am a dedicated freshwater hunter. I hunt the Great lakes and inland lakes here in Wisconsin. I'm also a bit of a gold bug...so wanted a machine that would work in that area as well.
My primary targets while water hunting are rings, chains, and jewelry. So....again...gold was the primary target.
Started with a Garrett Seahunter Mk II...PI machine. Great piece of equipment. A real monster to haul around. Consistant to 6-8 " in freshwater. no real complaints...except...no discrimination. Also...another 100 bucks for a proper dive shaft.
Tried an AT....ummm...no thanks. too many freakin bells and whistles and the visual display?...wtf. I REALLY...don't need all that.
Spent a year researching...reading...asking around..before I made my decision.
Tesoro Tigershark. Hands down. Tough, been around forever, great support...and it just freakin works. No fancy VDI, bells or whistles. The factory shaft system is multi configurable...and did I mention..it just plain freakin WORKS?

You can buy 2 1/2 brand new Tigersharks for the price of a single Excal....don't get me wrong..Excals a GREAT machine..if ya spent 2 years learning its freakin tones. But..truth be told?..The Tiger picks up..I mean SNIFFS...earring backs buried 10" deep ... single tone...but it WILL talk to you if you listen. Buy a Tesoro Tigershark for freshwater precious metals.....you really can't go wrong imo.

BTW..FACT...My Tigershark paid for itself..(650.00)...in 59 minutes ITS FIRST OUTING... Rose gold mens wedding band...hit with AUTHORITY at 9" of marl and silt at 13'.

Yeah..I'm a Tesora fan.

Bubs

(BTW....this evening?...for fun...hit a local town swimming area. 1 womans ring...heart shaped encrusted with small diamonds...not real expensive but so what?...and a womens hoop earring sterling silver. The hoop was at least 8" deep.)

That is the post I've been waiting for.... lol a cold freshwater treasure hunter.. thank you

Jim

lol..uh oh...what did I do?

Lol..I gotta grin...

lol a cold freshwater treasure hunter.. thank you

Cold?..Bah!! It ain't cold til the water gets hard!!

Bubs

This summer diving was fine... 68* up topside in the 40*/45* around 50'.... 7mm farmer john with hood and gloves.... I'm in Bonaire right now and it's 82* at 70'... I don't know what it gonna be like next week at home... LOL

Jim.....

Bonaire?....GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH....THATS not cold water ya turkey!!

Hope ya took a detector with ya!!

Kurt

NO.... Silly.... I dive northern Maine lakes... Like REALLY northern Maine... I'm on playtime down here.... :wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom