Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davisdiver

Reaction score
Help!Help!Help!

Can anyone suggest a good reliable underwater metal detector? Divers Direct (my local store) doesn't carry anything. I have looked on EBay, but I hesitate to spend alot of $ on something that may be junk or not fit my needs. I am an experienced diver that wants to start using a metal detector, but I want a good starter model that works well in salt water and can take a beating. Does anyone have any suggestions on what make, model and purchase locations as well as advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Check out JWFisher.com.
They make underwater metal detectors.
Be prepared to spend about $1500.

Oh, and one other thing. Most underwater detectors are discriminatory.

the K

Lots of choices but salt water makes it harder.

The really nifty detectors that work so great on land and in fresh water detect the salt water and get confused.
There are now fancy machines that can identify targets in salt water but they are expensive.

The old standby for salt water is a pulse induction (PI) machine. The problem is that a PI will sound off on everything metalic.

A good choice for detecting while diving is the Garrett SL-500 (not sure of the model, 500 is certain but not sure of the letters). It is a PI machine made for diving and has been around for many years with lots of them out in the world. Used ones often sell in the $300-500 range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom