Message to All My SB Facebook Friends: Who the heck are you!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the Geeks, I became like a Geek to win the Geek... :D (paraphrased I Corinthians 9)

What's really amazing Rick, is how the Dive Industry (especially DEMA) has completely lost this concept. Whether you're selling religion or gear, if you can't identify with your potential clients or they can't identify with you, you're gonna miss quite a number of converts. People have criticized all the new stuff we roll out from time to time, and it's usually those that can't see that not EVERYONE uses the internet (or ScubaBoard) in the same way. Like the quick reply at the bottom of our PMs now. Some love it and some loathe it. They can still reply the old fashioned way, so it's really no big deal.

In an article called, "Twitter This - Embracing Social Media in the Church", it says:

"It's like we're standing on a street corner yelling at the cars as they pass by. People curiously look at us yelling for a split second. But they just can't hear us because they're already down the road. And very, very few are going to stop, make a U turn, park their car, get out, walk up to you on the corner, and listen to what you're yelling about."

Rick,

Don't sweat it,I'm with you (and on your friendslist)
I don't have a clue on what to do on facebook.
I'm already glad I can find my way on SB.:D

They really do come out of the woodwork, why just a couple of days ago I received a Facebook friend request from some Rick Inman guy.:D

So does that mean,you can write a facebook manual for the Noobs on SB.:D

Facebook. Hmmm. When I first got invited to join, I figured cool. I did and starting letting people I didn't know in real life be my friends. Shortly after, I ended up with a stalker that got out of hand. She was able to gleam a lot of information from open conversations with real friends, and I had to shut down the account. I'm now on Facebook again, but if I haven't gone to school with you, worked with you, or had beers with you, I'm not sharing my life and friends with you. That is what these types of boards (ie SB) are for. Facebook seems too personal to make it open to internet friends, because my family and close friends are constantly posting stuff to me, sharing photos, and talking about plans. This information doesn't belong in the hands of people I don't know personally. I guess some could use FB as a dating service or way to meet new people, but then it can't be used for family type stuff. The mix doesn't work well, and I know several people who have quit FB because after mixing the usage for some time, ended up with uncomfortable situations.

I totally agree with Eric's take on FB. It can unintentionally become a mix of personal, business, and relatively "anonymous" friends. The results can be serious. So keep this in mind.

Facebook can be a real time waster, which I think is the point. If someone wants me to join or do something that takes more than about 10 seconds, it gets ignored. So, although I may pillow fight, accept a drink, a heart, etc, from someone, I do not play games on the site. Don't feel bad if I don't join you on one of those things. I have more interesting things to do, like flying, diving, bike riding, or reading. Went flying this morning for instance. Much more fun.

Anyhway a lot of you folks are listed as friends and I pretty much consider anyone that is on Scubaboard at least an aquaintance, so if you are a Scubaboard member or a friend of a Scubaboard member, then I'll accept you as a friend on facebook.

To wit.

Wife blows MI6 chief’s cover on Facebook - Times Online

I mean, you are married to a Spy and set up a Facebook account?

spy-vs-spy-without-bombs-775529.jpg

So does that mean,you can write a facebook manual for the Noobs on SB.:D
Sure. Like diving, the day you're out of BOW class you can become an internet expert. :wink:

I use Facebook to alert all my usual dive buddies that I'm headed out to dive. It's a lot easier than texting or calling 20 people. I just post a thingy that says" headed out to the quarry" and folks show up to dive. Also nice for posting dive photos that friends and family can see who don't have a clue what "ScubaBoard" is.

Back
Top Bottom