Mesh tank protectors?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of my tanks have mesh on'em except the pony, just 'cause nobody makes one that small. They spend a lot of time in the trunk of the car and the mesh is as much to protect the other contents of the compartment as the tanks themselves. Oh, and I almost forgot - the stickers on the tanks (Nitrox, vip, etc) are not nearly as tough as the finish and cost $$ to replace. Oh, and I REALLY almost forgot - the mesh actually makes the cam bands on my BC work better to hold the tank in place... And yes, after spending $400+ on a tank you bet I'm going to protect my investment. And if a fisherman wants me that bad I'll poke a hole in his Zodiac with my dive knife and laugh all the way home about the outboard motor I caught! Hmmm... wonder if they make glow-in-the-dark mesh?

Are we having fun yet?? :eyebrow:

Stopping the mesh from bunching.

Buy a 12/13 inch inner tube (Pep Boys) and cut it into two inch strips. Slip the strip over the mesh so it overlaps onto the tank. You may need to trim the mesh so that it is below the shoulder of the tank.

They can attract mud, but I have never seen a student with one have their tank slip out of the tank band.

They also make your gear stand out... easier to keep track of it.

I do think that they look cool, but I really don't have the time to be bothered by them.

They always snag something and the one i no longer have did slip on three different BC's, hav'nt slipped since they were trashed.

reefraff:
Although I don't use mesh on any of my tanks, I love it when people do.
though for a much different reasons that reefraff.

The mesh on their tanks makes a handy place for me to hang fishing lures I find... that way I don't have to carry them around myself.

derwoodwithasherwood:
Less worrisome with aluminium perhaps, but a ding through the galvanized coating on a steel cylinder means the potential for the very sort of damage that inspection programs are designed to detect. If it is important to detect that sort of damage, isn't it just as important to prevent it in the first place? What am I missing here?
Galvanizing is *self-healing* in that the surrounding zinc will flow and re-plate the steel exposed by a scratch. That is why galvanized anchors don't turn into a lump of rust after the first few times they are used to plow the bottom.

DavidHickey:
Bought my 1st tank this weekend and bought a mesh tank protector to go over the tank. Dumb question, but I never really thought about it. Do you remove the mesh protectors when you attach to your BCD or is it alright to leave on?
Thanks
David
Maybe I'm restating(didn't read through the whole thread). Yes you leave it on, the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to buy a new mesh cover every year? The mesh is going to get cut off when they do the visual tank inspection.

rje634:
Maybe I'm restating(didn't read through the whole thread). Yes you leave it on, the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to buy a new mesh cover every year? The mesh is going to get cut off when they do the visual tank inspection.

I have had the same mesh for three years and had a hydro

cdiver2:
I have had the same mesh for three years and had a hydro

Er... that's not right?

The mesh will simply slide off when the time comes for the yearly vis or a hydro. You cando this yourself and help the shop a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom