Mentoring a new diver the minimalist way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why no wing?

Because a BC is not needed to scuba dive and in some cases is detrimental, regardless of the propaganda fed for decades by PadI and now accepted by even minimalist agencies like GUE. There are many circumstances wear an inflatable life preserver is simply unnecessary fluff. When I do need a BC however, make it a wing.

N

Will he have an alternate second stage for sharing air? If not, you'll be creating a death-trap for any new diver that goes to him for help.

Terry

If you read the OPs post you will see they are diving with a group of MINIMALIST divers who will not expect him to have an alternate so therefore there is no "death trap" --a bit over the top there.

N

Sounds like you are acting in the capacity of an instructor. Of course, I am assuming that you are an instructor.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Nope, not an instructor and never plan to be one.

The guy that want's to dive with us already has his C-card from SSI. I'm not certifying anybody or taking somebody out that's not certified and never made any claims that I was.
He just want's to tag along with us and do what we do.
I want to run him through a series of skills to see what they taught him just for my own peace of mind, and also see what he still needs to work on to be the type of diver he want's to be. Most instuctors around here that I've seen don't know the first thing about minimalism.
He knows it's his choice to bail anytime he wants. He also knows I'm not an instructor, and I told him he's not getting a new shiny card of some sort or a brownie button or new patch, he's just going to learn to dive a different way.

You don't have to be an instructer to be a mentor.

And, he's not paying any money for any of this, it's all just friendship.

Instructor, smuctor, who would provide better mentoring beyond the pool, a guy like ZKY with much experience in real world diving or the dive chick/dude PadI instructor with 12 dives total, 5 logged in the pool? Okay, 14.

N

backpackers_955.jpg

Now that is something I could get into! Diving the old fashioned way (not necessarily equipment wise, but skill wise) Throw in some vintage gear and I would be hooked!

Instructor, smuctor, who would provide better mentoring beyond the pool, a guy like ZKY with much experience in real world diving or the dive chick/dude PadI instructor with 12 dives total, 5 logged in the pool? Okay, 14.
N

Regardless of the competence of the OW instructor, taking away a new diver's BC invalidates a great deal of OW training and creates a huge liability.

Terry

Regardless of the competence of the OW instructor, taking away a new diver's BC invalidates a great deal of OW training and creates a huge liability.

Terry

Adults get to choose,it is called freedom of choice. The diver chose to ask to dive with the "Minimalist" divers and chose a path to seek the knowledge of zen minimalism.

Divers learned to dive and dove from their first dive without a BC for decades and some still do, I am sorry that in this airbag, padded, safety first world that divers are required to wear handicap devices that are of little use once a skill level has been developed. A BC is not a life preserver, it is simply there for buoyancy compensation, if you can compensate for your buoyancy needs via lung volume, proper weighting and attire there is no need then for a BC.

Repeat, a BC is not a life jacket, if you need a life jacket, get out of the water, remove your gear, go home, learn to swim or take up golf or something. :shakehead:

N

Because a BC is not needed to scuba dive and in some cases is detrimental, regardless of the propaganda fed for decades by PadI and now accepted by even minimalist agencies like GUE. There are many circumstances wear an inflatable life preserver is simply unnecessary fluff. When I do need a BC however, make it a wing.

N
Just couldn't resist that crack at GUE, could ya? Try to keep in mind what type of diving they're training folks for ... see below ...

Adults get to choose,it is called freedom of choice. The diver chose to ask to dive with the "Minimalist" divers and chose a path to seek the knowledge of zen minimalism.

Divers learned to dive and dove from their first dive without a BC for decades and some still do, I am sorry that in this airbag, padded, safety first world that divers are required to wear handicap devices that are of little use once a skill level has been developed. A BC is not a life preserver, it is simply there for buoyancy compensation, if you can compensate for your buoyancy needs via lung volume, proper weighting and attire there is no need then for a BC.

Repeat, a BC is not a life jacket, if you need a life jacket, get out of the water, remove your gear, go home, learn to swim or take up golf or something. :shakehead:

N
All well and good if you're just diving a single rig. Try using lung control with no wing when you're packing 240 CF of backgas and 80 or 120 CF of deco gas. Won't work unless you've got lungs with about 30 lbs of lift capacity.

You guys seem to be just as hung up on the old "there's only one right way to dive" mentality as the other guys are.

Good luck with your mentoring ... I'm a firm believer that mentoring is and has always been the backbone of real dive instruction. Just try not to build walls that may later inhibit this person's ability to branch out and explore other types of diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just couldn't resist that crack at GUE, could ya? Try to keep in mind what type of diving they're training folks for ... see below ...

All well and good if you're just diving a single rig. Try using lung control with no wing when you're packing 240 CF of backgas and 80 or 120 CF of deco gas. Won't work unless you've got lungs with about 30 lbs of lift capacity.

You guys seem to be just as hung up on the old "there's only one right way to dive" mentality as the other guys are.

Good luck with your mentoring ... I'm a firm believer that mentoring is and has always been the backbone of real dive instruction. Just try not to build walls that may later inhibit this person's ability to branch out and explore other types of diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nemrods point is that the BC is not required 100% of the time, it is another tool in the bag to use when needed. You can be a minimalist diver with or without a BC, you just aren't a true minimalist diver if you use a BC when it is not needed. Even he uses a BC if needed.

Back
Top Bottom