Menstruation & diving. Okay, ladies, FDA just approved..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BC is free on the NHS. You just have to turn up at the doctors (which doesn't have to be your own GP) and sign a form every six months and then they write the prescription (they do check you out before you get the script). At the chemist this prescription is free unlike most which cost about £6 (sorry I have diabetes and I am one of the lucky few who don't have to pay for a prescritption so this is an estimate).

There are times when we need to say thank you to the NHS :)

Bonnet Ray once bubbled...
BC is free on the NHS. You just have to turn up at the doctors (which doesn't have to be your own GP) and sign a form every six months and then they write the prescription (they do check you out before you get the script). At the chemist this prescription is free unlike most which cost about £6 (sorry I have diabetes and I am one of the lucky few who don't have to pay for a prescritption so this is an estimate).

There are times when we need to say thank you to the NHS :)

Quite right Bonnet, I'd forgotten that - even though my GF's GP makes patients repeat every 3 months rather than the usual 6.

Still, I'm sure she spends more than £6 per quarter on sanitary products - never could work out why they aren't free. As I said above - if we had periods, I'm sure they would be (although the world would grind to a halt every 28 days :wink: )

Dom

Ravie Darling:
I think you have your period now. Sometimes I don't sound like my normal self during that time of the month either.
You have insulted several people, and are ranting and raving. Not the Raviepoo we have all grown to love.
Settle down sweetie. Maybe eat some chocolate ..always seems to help me.

i considered remaining silent about your post, since you addressed it to raviepoo. but it's posted on a public forum, so....

your comment that she mut have her period, and your other comment recommending chocolate -- i find them insulting to ravie and all women.

many of us can and do hold strong opinions, opinions outside of the mainstream. to dismiss these opinions as the result of fluctuating hormones is .......(speechless here, almost). to recommend CHOCOLATE as antidote to these opinions ....... (deliberately remaining speechless.)

(speechlessness over) your message seems to be meant kindly and gently. but in a different manner, i find it just as belittling and patronizing as some of ravie's earlier remarks.

just my $.02,

dm

raviepoo once bubbled...
If you think I'm coming down on you for making choices about your health care, I must not have expressed my opinion clearly enough. I'm sorry you've taken my invective personally. You are in fact, one of the people for whom I consider drug use to be appropriate. As I stated in my original post, "leave the drugs for people who actually have something wrong with them."

But that is actually my point....I disagree with your perceived right to say whether this kind of drug use is inappropriate for anyone but you. I wasn't looking for you to approve or disapprove of any particular treatment I may be taking....this is definitely one of those decisions that is very personal, and should be made between the doctor and the woman involved. Of course, she should do everything she can to inform herself about what her options are and what benefits/consequences may go with her different options...but ultimately, it's her decision.

I think we all have a pretty good idea about where youstand on hormonal BC....but doesn't everyone else get to make that decision as well?

raviepoo once bubbled...
I'm sorry you have pain. Pain sucks.

Agreed all the way around <grin>

raviepoo once bubbled...
I am DISGUSTED by the medical profession and it's tendancy to want to medicate everything, even normalcy.

I see your point here, but I don't think that we can hang this entirely on the medical community. I think we as a society are just as/if not more so, guilty of this. Think of the problem we're having with anti-biotics...this is at least in part due to folks wanting to take them for everything (including common viruses which antibiotics will do nothing fo).

I have friends who are nurses that tell me about patients that come to them complaining that they're sick (a basic cold type virus) and they want something that will make them better instantly! I live in the land of "I Want It Now" I know I've been guilty of wondering what was taking the microwave so long with the popcorn <smile...ok, so patience isn't my biggest virtue <smile>

We as a society want to medicate every sniffle, ache and pain, because we tend to want any inconvenience to go away now.

Now whether I agree with that sentiment or not, I don't believe I can tell people what they should medicate and what they just need to deal with....I don't live in their skin, and I don't know what they're feeling.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Over a decade ago I fired a male gynecologist (a leader in his field) for telling me that if I didn't suppress my cycle with hormones, I would end up having a hysterectomy. Change the pronouns and it's a direct quote. It's unconscionable to say that to a patient. He was full of it, and I'm still intact.

Sorry you had such a lousy experience with your former OB/GYN...I've encountered winners and losers (from both genders) as well...I definitely believe in being an informed patient and knowing when you want to talk to another professional about options.

I think that we as women tend to just accept a Dr.'s treatment plan more than we should. Yes, they are the professional, but it's my body and my responsibility to understand what's going on and what my options are.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Not every woman has problem periods.

Thankfully, that is very true

raviepoo once bubbled...
I think far too many healthy people consider their natural hormonal cycle to be a curse. Look at the terminology used to describe it.

I think it should be celebrated, not avoided.

Sorry, but you lost me on that one. Before I ever had any issues.....I never celebrated it. Yes, I know what it's a part of, and I think having children is a miracle and a blessing.....but if it was possible without my monthly curse (my opinion and perspective) I'd jump at the chance. It's inconvenient and annoying (that's just the physical, not even counting the emotional/hormaonal stuff).

raviepoo once bubbled...
I think, as I stated in my original post, that drugs are best used by people who really have something wrong with them.

Again, I think this is our biggest difference....I think that everyone needs to be able to look at all the options available (even the ones I disagree with) and make the choice that is right for them.

raviepoo once bubbled...
And I also think that men should not be allowed to become gynecologists, or hold any sort of opinion about childbirth, birth control, or any other women's health issue, but that's a whole different thread.

Yeah, I agree....that's a whole different thread....I think I'll bow out without reaction to that one <big smile>.

Peace,
Cathie

DM:
My comments were meant to lighten the situation. Nothing more.

Chocolate works for me.

going back to my cage now...

Thanks SueMermaid.
I try to have it everyday. Wish the insurance companies would cover it. :wink:

<getting up, walking over to cupboard> Yikes - no good chocolate in house. Only some leftover bittersweet Bakers chocolate - it will have to do.

Natasha - you have got to stop mentioning food on this board! I'm still eating the Ben & Jerry's I bought after your post a couple weeks ago re: naming the new B&J flavor! Freezer full of Chunky Monkey....

Jersey, you don't even want me to go there w/ sep of church & state! I believe you are absolutely correct.... but let's not forget that women's issues take the back seat in legislation in general. Testicular cancer vs. breast cancer... HELLO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom