men's shorts for under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was never one for the Euro-style weenie-shorts, or any other specialized shorts. I did a few thousand dives with trusty boardshorts under my suits. Sure, they're a little bunchy, but if you stuff them down as you're pulling the suit up to your waist, and don't let them bunch up on you like a diaper, they're fine. I had lots of long days this way, and my personal record was 14 hours straight in shorts/suit (at least up to the waist), and never had any issues with any "groinal disturbances". :D

I think it depends on where I was diving. In the Caribbean, I only use a 1.5 mil heater top... No shorty, no long suit. In Hawaii, I'd be in a full 3/2.

But, the board shorts have never posed a problem, especially not enough to wear a tallywhacker enhancing bikini bottom

I wear a lightweight pair of running shorts... They scrunch up under a wetsuit easily and dry quickly. Being as I am well past my Speedo-wearing days, I also have some "board shorts" that I can pull on over top as to not gross folks out on the boat.

Alternately, there's the Borat look...

index.jpg

Many years ago, Mrs. Stoo and I were at Fantasy Island on Roatan. To get to the dive centre, we walked along the beach in the morning. One morning, I was met with a view of a somewhat glorious bottom, wearing what appeared to be a tiny gold lame thong. Admittedly, the owner of the bum was a long ways away and the sun was in my eyes, but the "whoa" comment I failed to suppress earned me an elbow in the ribs from the aforementioned Mrs. Stoo.

As we got closer, the person stood up and it turned out to be a portly Spanish gentleman who we had met at dinner the previous night. I swallowed hard to keep my huevos rancheros down, but it just shows that you never know what you might run into...

A few years ago, I flew to GC on connecting flight out of Miami. My luggage did not make the flight.(Apparently fairly common on the Miami-GC route) I had DC and reg in carryon and thought I would just rent rest of gear from dive op. But I couldn't find a shop that sold a swimsuit larger than about 30 in waist. Mercifully, my dive bag arrived on the early morning flight so I didnt have to consider the commando option! Relevance to OP: buy swimsuit in advance, don't count on being able to find what you need locally.

Many years ago, Mrs. Stoo and I were at Fantasy Island on Roatan. To get to the dive centre, we walked along the beach in the morning. One morning, I was met with a view of a somewhat glorious bottom, wearing what appeared to be a tiny gold lame thong. Admittedly, the owner of the bum was a long ways away and the sun was in my eyes, but the "whoa" comment I failed to suppress earned me an elbow in the ribs from the aforementioned Mrs. Stoo.
As we got closer, the person stood up and it turned out to be a portly Spanish gentleman who we had met at dinner the previous night. I swallowed hard to keep my huevos rancheros down, but it just shows that you never know what you might run into...

LMAO !!! :rofl3:
Unfortunately, I can relate, as I vaguely recall having a similar incident or two myself, that thankfully, I've managed to purge the details of from my memory banks!

What do guys find comfortable under a wetsuit?

In a word (or two) I go "buck naked" in my wetsuit. It's the only thing I find "comfortable".

In some places you may need a large towel or something similar in order get in/out of your wetsuit. In Holland (home turf) you can walk around naked on the dive site and nobody gives a rat's ass... but on my first trip in Egypt I was politely (but forcefully) informed that seeing my naked butt was not appreciated and that I needed to cover that **** up.

R..

If you go to a sporting good store like Dick's go over to the baseball section and get a pair of sliding shorts that ballplayers wear under their baseball pants. They are like a spandex but have a medium to long leg almost to yer knee.They have a bit of thicker material that i would say is public appropriate and they look ok too.

LMAO !!! :rofl3:
Unfortunately, I can relate, as I vaguely recall having a similar incident or two myself, that thankfully, I've managed to purge the details of from my memory banks!

I'm (still) a DM candidate and one of the AI's who is older wears a teenie weenie Speedo thingie.....Except, it's probably time to retire them because they're either a little too big or the elastic has failed to "recoil" after a lot of use. One day he was changing in and out of his wetsuit and I got an eyeful of EVERYTHING through the leg hole of his Speedos.

I think it's the one thing that had me running back to my office given my username. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom