Memory cards ... how many pics ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what camera you are using.

I've been diving for 17 years, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to UW photography. Wasn't interested until I had to replace my point-and-shoot a few months before heading to Utila with an expectation of seeing whale sharks. Seemed like the opportune time to give it a try. Anyway, I'm using a Canon Powershot S60. No bells and whistles, just the housing. Started out shooting RAW, but frankly, my shots just weren't good enough to take advantage of it so now I pretty much stick with .jpg with large resolution and superfine compression. And I think you're right, OE2X. It seems to me I can adequately zoom in on the LCD and see whether I've got something worth saving.

I doubt I'll need a hundred gig drive. Suspect 60 would be more than adequate for me. Very happy to hear that installation was no problem. I'm not exactly a technophobe, but I'll take a no-brainer whenever I can get one.

I would seriously look at an low-end laptop if you can't afford a beast of one.

I hear you, alcina. Unfortunately, when I do buy a laptop I do indeed want that "beast." I'm going to need to replace my top-of-the line desktop MAC eventually and intend to do so with a laptop that will be able to run all the same layout, photo, and illustration software that's on there now. I just can't see spending money for an inexpensive laptop for just one trip. Also, for at least part of the time I'll be on the Kararu Voyager, and there's a computer on board for guest use (if one can ever get to it. LOL).

Joan

Yellowtail Damselfish:
I doubt I'll need a hundred gig drive. Suspect 60 would be more than adequate for me. Very happy to hear that installation was no problem. I'm not exactly a technophobe, but I'll take a no-brainer whenever I can get one.
Joan

My needs are different than most people. When I shoot a big job, I can shoot 2-3,000 images in a day!!!! A hundred gig drive is sort of mandatory - for me. :D

You will be fine with something smaller. If memory serves there are four small screws to take out, then you can hook up the drive by clicking in the wires together - a one step process. Then all you have to do is put the screws back in. I think the Nexto even comes with a small jewelers screwdriver. The other alternative is to just buy it with a pre-installed HD of your choice from the company in Australia.

Bring a firewire and USB cord with you so that you can hog the computer. :D:D:D

Yellowtail Damselfish:
The Epson looks nice, but I'm thinking the NextoCF will suit my needs and certainly be less expensive. But it seems not to be available in the States. Where have those of you who have them bought them?

Joan

Hey YD,

I'm from Montréal. Canada and the Epson is available at high end photo store !!!

Did you try searching Yellow Pages or something like that .... or maybe Email Epson directly. They will surely direct you to the nearest store .

I have a sealife C500 and want to warn you about the huge memory cards. I have witnessed first hand that any thing over the 512 I have will "lock up" the camera. It happened to my buddy and I read others on this site having the same problem. I would advise multiple 512 memory cards. I got mine at B&H photo video. Replacing them when they get full is not a problem because they are in the same compartment as the battery. That's another warning. The battery will not do 2 dives. So I have two batteries and a charger for the battery. I change it every dive.

DiverLS:
I have a sealife C500 and want to warn you about the huge memory cards. I have witnessed first hand that any thing over the 512 I have will "lock up" the camera. It happened to my buddy and I read others on this site having the same problem. I would advise multiple 512 memory cards. I got mine at B&H photo video. Replacing them when they get full is not a problem because they are in the same compartment as the battery. That's another warning. The battery will not do 2 dives. So I have two batteries and a charger for the battery. I change it every dive.

Hey DiverLS,

Thanks for the warning ..... I guess I will see for myself about the lock up problem !!!

:huh: Last weekend, bought two 1G SanDisc High Speed cards !! Hoping the High Speed writing capabilities will solve that problem !!!

Regarding the battery problem, the LDS warned me in advance and I ordered two extra batteries .... Since I am leaving in two days, the batteries would not have made it in time, LDS owner is lending me two of his :wink: :wink:

shark - great to hear you have things ready to go! Looking forward to seeing your shots when you get back!

YD - I agree, mostly you can see if you are in the ballpark on focus with the lcd - most of the time and if you take the time to zoom in while uw.

But there are a lot of other things that aren't easy to see and/or that you might not want to take the time uw to look at too closely - or that you might not think of while you are underwater shooting but once you see the image you think, "gads, I wish I had thought of that and done X" Seeing the larger image in more detail is just better for review - so push those others off the computer :D That way you can make sure to get the images you want on the next dive!

I can't imagine reviewing all of my shots on the camera's lcd - it'd drive me batty. But, not unlike OEX2, I probably have different goals than many shooters...

I'd take some extra DVDs with me to burn images - you might be able to barter time on someone else's laptop with a copy of some of your images or a cold beer :) That way you wouldn't have to have your own with you but you'll still get the benefits of reviewing...

shark_tamer:
:huh: Last weekend, bought two 1G SanDisc High Speed cards !! Hoping the High Speed writing capabilities will solve that problem !!!

High speed cards are generally going to compound the problem, not make it better as they generally use technoligies like WA that a camera must recognize even if many high speed cards work in cameras that do not utilize the high capabilities, and are backwards compatable.

There are two types of FAT file formats available on flash media, FAT16, and FAT32. FAT16 can manage up to 2GB of data, but I'm not sure if the new cards under 2GB all use FAT16. Any card over 2GB must to be FAT32. This is a physical requirement as 16 bytes can not physically store more than 2GIG of data unless you develop some sort of advanced file system management tomfoolery. :D

Camera's must be able to handle FAT32 to exceed the 2GB limit, and based on what I've seen in the past many camera's manufactures did not bother to create the firmware necessary to even handle what a FAT16 filesystem can do. If the camera is using an 8byte OS, you are NOT going to be able to use 2GB cards.

SD is encrypted, and has it's own set of standards which I have not bothered to learn, and all bets are off when using SD cards as to scaleabliity.

My recommendation is to read the specific camera model recommendation, and unless there is a firmware upgrade that specifically notes that your camera can now handle X size of card stick with the recommendation in the user manual.

shark_tamer:
Hey YD,

I'm from Montréal. Canada and the Epson is available at high end photo store !!!

Did you try searching Yellow Pages or something like that .... or maybe Email Epson directly. They will surely direct you to the nearest store .

Nexto is now avaiable in the states. If you are an Ebay user, they sell them there new for the standard 129.00 price. However I believe the Nexto website now includes a retailer in the states as I was looking at these the other day.

I'm not going to dig around now, but I found a US Nexto retailer in the US rather quickly either off the Nexto Site, or using Google.

shark_tamer:
Hey DiverLS,

Thanks for the warning ..... I guess I will see for myself about the lock up problem !!!

Regarding the battery problem, the LDS warned me in advance and I ordered two extra batteries .... Since I am leaving in two days, the batteries would not have made it in time, LDS owner is lending me two of his :wink: :wink:

Make sure you download and update the firmware on the DC500. That may end the lock-up issue Also download the 500 page troubleshooting manual(just kidding).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom