Memory cards ... how many pics ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on what kind of cards your camera takes, you may well do better online. I typically see 1gb SD in the $20 - $25 range, and I just got done selling a small pile of 512 gb SD cards for $10 ea. Brand names, too, like PQI, Kingston, etc.
More on the little card downloaders, run between $12 - $35 before adding the HD.

Hey OE2X,

Peeked at the Eastgeat memory card downloader .... It is cheaper, but it does not have an LCD !!!! :confused:

:shakehead You guys remind me why I hate digital .... :( :censored:

I have tried a couple of shots ( camera only has 10M of memory !!! ) and downloaded them into Photoshop.

Here's what I got :

Pic properties : File size is 2,4k , 1920 X 2560 pixels at 72 dpi.

I have enlarged it 300% and pixels are OK ... if you compare to a scanned negative !!!

To get a "portfolio quality" multimedia print, my usual files are at 300 dpi, in TIFF format and file size are about 35Megs.

I will bring one to the lab where I usually have my prints done and evaluate the results !!

:34: FYI ... One of my friend is really into numbers crunching, and one day we roughly figured out how many pixels a 35mm negative would compare to .... 24 million !!!! :eyebrow:

Anybody have a waterproof case for a Pentax 667 for sale !!!!!​

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alcina:
Personally, if your camera can handle it, I'd get bigger cards and change less often. Each and every time you open your housing you are tempting the gods. Especially between dives...

I agree with Alcina. I shoot 2 gig cards, and I wish I was shooting 4gig cards. If I start running out of room, I switch from RAW+JPG to RAW rather than open the housing.

I have opened my housing between dives a couple times (once I forgot to connect the flash sync inside the camera before the first dive... :11doh: ). But opening the housing between dives on a boat invites issues, and I rather not do it.

It also adds a bit of stress as you are screwing around with equipment during the SS, and you ultimately finish the task, and the captain is announcing the pool is open. I prefer to pick a lens, and dive that for both dives and not mess with my housing between dives. However changing lenses is not as time consuming as removing the camera from the housing as with a DSLR you must remove the lens port and lens to remove the camera.

I also agree with O2x, there are better options than the Epson. I personally have used portable HD's, CD burners, and a laptop with an external HD. If I can I like the external HD laptop option, but that is somewhat becacuse my other options are outdated, and my filesizes are large.

Yah, agree with all of the above LOL...

Shooting with an Oly 4040, limited to 128mb in Hi-quality averaged 46 shots per card.
Battery (1600mh now 2300mh) would give out in 2nd dive so just got in the habit of swapping out card and battery after EACH dive. Can be a problem on a day boat, but got the routine done as doable. (battery will probably last longer, just not worth the chance)

Just got the D200, plan on shooting RAW + jpg and have several 2gig cards. That and with the newer batteries Li-ion I'm thinking I might be able to last 3 dives a day without going into the housing (way bigger and bulkier etc) and for me that would be ideal.

When done for the day, get back and either download (have the old wallet - and found a guy that repairs them eh??) or swap a new card in for the day. Prefer doing both for backups, but will take a while to build up the card numbers to do that.

As stated so many times, it bears repeating, as I've had it happen to me several times.
- I Don't want the largest card as that will tempt me to keep all photos on one card. If the card goes Ka-putt... lost all.
- I don't want the smallest cards as I don't want to swap out (assuming batter will last all day 3-dives) after each dive for the reasons stated above.

- Leave it alone, until you get home...

All that to say, I believe there's a "Sweet Spot" in there somewhere. Thinking the 2gig card would be the ticket, but maybe the 1 gig would do it to. Probably not much less than that... don't know what a raw + jpg pic size would be. when I Photo shop my current Hi-quality from my Oly 4040 they average around 9-11mb in .psd format...

So doing the math will help.. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that they is a "Sweet Spot" for me. 1 day = 1 setup and then leave it alone.

Hope that helps...
Now, off to the zoo to play with the new D200.. heheh..have plenty of time till I can get the housing eh???

Hope that helps..

ps. You might look around for a Memory card recovery program too... they're great. When a full card comes back, unreadable, just run the software and you just "MIGHT??" be able to recover them, except the 1 or 2 photos that corrupted the card for whatever reason. I've saved several full cards that way.

Looks like a 4gig card is the ticket. 40+pics per gig (RAW + jpg Fine) Should cover 3 dives comfortably

alcina:
Not with mine :wink:

Actually if I'm shooting a fixed focal length lens like the 60mm or 105mm macro, I don't have to remove the port either. But with a zoom lens, I must as the gear that engages the zoom must be removed before sliding the camera back. This is with IKE.

So does yours work differently? Do tell!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom