Memorial plaques at Whytecliff Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday my buddy and I found the two memorial plaques on the bottom below the daymarker. The depth at the lower plaque was 119 fsw (the tide was pretty low). I didn't notice the depth at the higher one. I think it might be around 110 or 100 fsw because my profile leveled off at both of those depths for a minute or so. The lower plaque appears more recent because it's pretty clean. The other plaque was quite barnacle encrusted so it seemed to be older.

I tried searching for information about these incidents, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know about them?

there is another couple of memorials around the anenome garden heading towards the 'Cut'. I cannot speak for those that you have found as I have not seen them personally but there have been a few deaths over the years @ that site. Varying circumstances involved but unfortunately a grim reminder of the necessity of training and level of comfort. I can ask around at my local dive shop who are there almost everyday.
Les

Les:
there is another couple of memorials around the anenome garden heading towards the 'Cut'. I cannot speak for those that you have found as I have not seen them personally but there have been a few deaths over the years @ that site. Varying circumstances involved but unfortunately a grim reminder of the necessity of training and level of comfort. I can ask around at my local dive shop who are there almost everyday.
I think you're talking about the same plaques. And you're right, it was a somber reminder of "the other side" of diving.

I've encountered a couple of these plaques at depths shallower than you mention. One of our dives had a max depth of 70-80 fsw. So the plaques we saw would have been in the 50-80 fsw range.

Bill

Daryl, the plaques that you found, did you descend directly @ the marker or at the end of the rocks of the bay? Just curious as to your find at that depth. I have heard that there is a fairly new plaque in the 120' range but I have not found it and am not sure of its exact location.
Les

Lightning Fish:
I've encountered a couple of these plaques at depths shallower than you mention. One of our dives had a max depth of 70-80 fsw. So the plaques we saw would have been in the 50-80 fsw range.

Bill
I remember seeing at least one around 60 feet deep around the day marker years ago. Whytecliff is one of the most popular sites around and it goes DEEP. Stuff is bound to happen.

Les:
Daryl, the plaques that you found, did you descend directly @ the marker or at the end of the rocks of the bay? Just curious as to your find at that depth. I have heard that there is a fairly new plaque in the 120' range but I have not found it and am not sure of its exact location.
Les
We descended approximately at the end of the bluff on the north side of the bay and followed the bottom contour out of the bay and around the daymarker. If you look at the attachment which is a screen capture of a navigation chart of the bay, I believe the location would be west or southwest of the daymarker, but I'm not 100% sure. Based on the depth contours (which are in meters), you can see that there is only a relatively narrow region where it could be.

I'm glad to hear at least some sort of confirmation of a plaque at 120 fsw. Also, the plaque was quite new. I was seriously starting to wonder if I was narced or something. (I didn't think I was at the time.) My deepest depth on the dive was at 119 fsw and I'm pretty sure it was at the location of the marker. I'll ask my buddy if he has a better recollection of the location.

To view the attachment, you need to save it first. If you try to open it directly, there is an error. FYI, a number on a contour line indicates the depth in metres of the contour line. Contour lines are interpolated by cartographers based on bathymetric data. A number by itself indicates a sounding, which would correspond to the depth of the location at extreme low tide.

I will try to dive there tomorrow(Wed pm) as my LDS does wed night dives there. I say try because I am just getting over a cold and am not yet sure if the ol' sinuses are ready. If so I won't be at that depth for the night dive. That can wait for a daytime dive due to not being in the water for some time. If you are free you should come out. Most meet @ the shop(Great Pacific Diving on Marine Drive N.Vancouver)at 5:30-6:00 and then head over to Whytecliff.
maybe see you there.
Les

Les:
I will try to dive there tomorrow(Wed pm) as my LDS does wed night dives there. I say try because I am just getting over a cold and am not yet sure if the ol' sinuses are ready. If so I won't be at that depth for the night dive. That can wait for a daytime dive due to not being in the water for some time. If you are free you should come out. Most meet @ the shop(Great Pacific Diving on Marine Drive N.Vancouver)at 5:30-6:00 and then head over to Whytecliff.
maybe see you there.
Les
I'd like to join you, but night dives during the week are really tough for me to fit into my schedule.

to find the one at 120-130', just follow the sand down to that depth along the wall. Go from the main bay and head out on the right wall. You won't miss it. It does look fairly new, and although I've read it a number of times, I can't remember what it says. There is another one up on the flats in the plumous anemone gardens at about 50-60'. I have a feeling there are more around the site, but could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom