Memorable Critter Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a close encounter with a shark while inspecting an outfall pipe off the coast of NJ. I was walking along the top of the pipe and looked up in time to see a blue shark swimming along the pipe looking for his breakfast coming from the other direction. I stepped off the pipe and watched his swim by close enough that I could have reached out and touched him. No problem at all until I made the mistake of telling my tender about it and he immediately panicked and started to pull me up so now I am feeling like bait on the end of a hook.

Hoping for a lot more soon but so far my favorite was a night dive on a wreck, Zion Train in West Palm Beach, during goliath grouper spawning season. A well know researcher was also on the boat so we were treated with a lot of info about goliaths before and after the dive. The huge fish were all over the wreck with large bait balls surrounding many of them. They would float right along with us unlike my daytime encounters when they would mostly avoid us. My camera set is very basic so no great photos of mine but there were many profession photographers with us that got great shots.

Second favorite was a turtle encounter. He was resting at the end of a small section of ledge that looped off the main reef. He swam up and toward me, with my camera, turning his head side to side to get a getter view of me. He came to within inches of my camera. Then I guess he finally decided I wasn't dating material and he swam around me then out the loop. Can't believe I caught it on camera.

Least favorite? There were three of us at the end of a drift dive, also in WPB, when a triggerfish decided we were in his territory. He spent about three minutes swimming between us trying to get a nip. I've been bit by triggerfish in the past and it was no fun so I fended him off with my camera. He finally got the dive guide on the ear, seemed satisfied, and swam off. Yep, got that on video too.

Last edited:
I have had quite some really cool encounters, but this is my all time favorite. This encounter lasted for at least 45 min and it was going back an forth between me and the dm, some ppl think it's because we were both wearing white shorts :wink:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=464143601506[/video]

I'm sorry, but i don't know how to link properly to make the vid available without you clicking on it...

Edit: Here is me being played with, it actually pushed me down after a while.
154243_458683431506_6261866_n.jpg

Most recent encounter of note was off Maui on the Cathagenian wreck. This intact hull of a whaler can be pentrated as the cargo bay doors in the deck have been removed, and there are no corridors or interior walls. In February 2012 Debbie and I entered and found a dozing 5 ft. long white tipped reef shark inside. We moved aside, but it just "paced " back and forth several time. We decided to withdraw so the shark could either resume it's nap or exit without stress. As we did, Debbie and I were side by side about 2 feet apart. The white tip joined us a a third, about two feet to Debbie's left. As we emerged above the deck in this formation, an Atlantis tourist sub was cruising by, and saw our unique threesome. Lots of camera flashes, but no one ever sent us a picture. A short time later the white tip settled in the sand near the wreck, but apparently in a parrot fish's spot. We watched the parrot fish literally "butt" the white tip until it left. It was an exceptionally fun dive, not only as an encounter but watching unique marine life behavior.
DivemasterDennis

ANY turtle encounter, Love 'em!

Quote Koozemani- "my wife's reaction when I proposed under water. I had a big fat fake ring that would fit over her glove. Unfortunately she didn't know it was fake and grabbed the box for dear life afraid I was going to lose the ring. I had to pry it out of her hands."

I proposed to my wife on the top of the Spiegel Grove wreck in Key Largo, "Stunt Ring" also. I could just see a Barracuda eating the real one....

1) A dead critter, sadly, but there's a marlin skeleton in the Turtle Cave at Sipadan Island, Malaysia. It's in a chamber about 200' in the cave, up on a natural shelf. I have heard it was placed there by someone, but don't know if that's true. Either way, it's still a very cool thing that not may people have seen.

2) During a dive at Mabul Island we were taking photos of a couple frogfish sitting side by side on some sort of wood structure that resembles a small building frame or something. Anyway, I notice a shadow moving right over my head, and I look up to see a very large turtle coming in for a "landing" right on top of where the frogfish were. The turtle ruined that photo op! Diving in Malaysia, you will see so many turtles that they begin to lose some of their appeal after a while.

3) Last summer during the Cozumel Invasion a good sized batfish was evidently annoyed by us on a night dive. He slams into my girlfriend's side then turns and comes straight into my mask then disappeared into the dark.

4) Gulf of Mexico last summer. We were at 184' directly under an oil platform searching the bottom for dropped goodies. The waters were nice and clear until about 145' then they got very silty. I was looking to my right when my buddy taps my shoulder and points directly in front of us. I look up to see a very large fish moving slowly. So large that in the very silty water I couldn't see the whole fish! We both froze, hovering above the bottom, hoping that it left us alone. As we made our way up to do our deco stops I was (and still do) wondering just WTF that was. My best guess is a grouper...or maybe a dragon.

I don't have a lot of "encounters". The Manta dive off of Kona, HI is absolutely worth it. It was my second post OW dive and there were some 24 mantas that night. One big 12+ footer that kept doing "somersaults" under my daughter (who was snorkeling) and almost rubbing bellies with her for about 5 minutes. Another rubbed against my head. Typical, though, my camera flooded the day before so I had to buy the video offered by the dive service.

On my trip to Florida last spring I saw my first goliath grouper. Fantastic. At least 4 feet pectoral to dorsal fin and I estimated about 7-8 feet in length. I laid out flat next to it (I'm 6'1") and had to stretch my arms above my head to match length. It had just "scared off" a small nurse shark right before I got my camera rolling. I wish I'd gotten the whole encounter... next time.

I'm off to Vancouver Island on Canada's west coast to spend the weekend diving with Sea Lions. I did this once before on my 50th birthday along with my son and it was a tremendous experience. I am off to share this experience with some new friends.

The juveniles come off of the rocks as soon as they see the boat mooring. The darn things are just like big Golden Retrievers. They initiate the contact and maintain contact as long as you interact back.

The manta dive I did along with my wife back in November also ranks way up there.

Care to share your experiences?

Bill

Are you going to Hornby? Haven't been there for quite a few years now, but Rob and Amanda run a great operation.

My memorable sea lion encounter happened a bit closer to home ... on a local scooter dive with a couple of friends ... suddenly there were four of us. The thing followed us around for quite a long time ... including several minutes on the trigger coming back in when he paced us perfectly.

[video=youtube;INJSavdJUzA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJSavdJUzA&feature=related[/video]

Other memorable encounters that would rank up there would be a manta experience in Komodo and my first encounter with a whale shark last year in the Maldives ...

WhaleShark-2-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you going to Hornby? ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup, Norris Rocks off of Hornby Island. We are going again with U.B. Diving Scuba Diving Courtenay Comox BC.

Sean and Shellie have been our "go to" folks out there for a long time. Sean will even bring his boats down to Naniamo for us when we want to dive on the Saskatchewan or the Cape Breton.

Mine was my first encounter with a barracuda. I was actually snorkling off the beach at Key West and the viz was really bad in one spot. I thought I saw a small fish 2 feet in front of me, as I got to about 1 foot or less I realized I was face to face with a barracuda, teeth and all. Yikes!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom