Membrane use preventing Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With good design you can mitigate a lot of flooding issues.

On the other hand, the meg is not capable of going places the sidewinder can go. The sidewinder is ridiculously light (especially compared to a meg and I have both), can be packed in small dry containers and hauled through sumps, doesnt have a solenoid or even batteries to fail. Way smaller profile too. At a price of having terrible tolerance to flooding.

Yes, as we both noted, RB design is a series of trade offs.

The Meg video illustrates that OTS designs are inherently more flood tolerant with the CLs acting as water traps in front of the scrubber. I personally think there are too many compromises involved in trying to make the scrubber itself more flood tolerant, aside from specifying a radial to begin with. To me best WOB trumps all other concerns, breathing properly is the dive, a scrubber flood is something very rare. How many partial or a full loop floods happen at depth?

To me best WOB trumps all other concerns, breathing properly is the dive, a scrubber flood is something very rare. How many partial or a full loop floods happen at depth?

Torn or disconnected loop hose is pretty bad when it happens

Torn or disconnected loop hose is pretty bad when it happens

I’ve never come close to that because my OTS unit hoses are not hanging above my head. The rip in my CL was due to a bad plastic weld fitting, got rid of all of them after that.

Yes, a ripped loop hose would be very bad, how often has this happened to you?

Yes, a ripped loop hose would be very bad, how often has this happened to you?
Thankfully never!

I remember there was a kiss classic diver who ripped a hose on a MX cave dive about 10 years ago and was massively overweighted without the buoyancy of the unit.

Thankfully never!

I remember there was a kiss classic diver who ripped a hose on a MX cave dive about 10 years ago and was massively overweighted without the buoyancy of the unit.

Glad you are not in that hopefully exclusive group!

I have heard of it happening, but never in enough detail to know the full circumstances. So hard to know the real risk profile...

I would consider the ability to de-water a rebreather one of the priorities of design. The inability to de-water some rebreathers automatically puts them off my list.

I would consider the ability to de-water a rebreather one of the priorities of design. The inability to de-water some rebreathers automatically puts them off my list.

I guess it depends on what you mean by de-watering and which design trade offs one is willing to make. Putting small one way valve drains at the bottom of OTS CLs has little to no downside, but putting a membrane over the scrubber, an OPV style drain at the bottom of the scrubber canister, or a radial scrubber that flows outside to in, requires trade offs some are not willing to make, like me. The design features we choose are a matter of personal choice...

I guess it depends on what you mean by de-watering and which design trade offs one is willing to make. Putting small one way valve drains at the bottom of OTS CLs has little to no downside, but putting a membrane over the scrubber, an OPV style drain at the bottom of the scrubber canister, or a radial scrubber that flows outside to in, requires trade offs some are not willing to make, like me. The design features we choose are a matter of personal choice...

De-watering, the ability to remove water from the rebreather so as to establish a viable loop. If your unit can’t tolerate a flood, in my mind it’s unsafe to use. It removes a significant benefit to diving a rebreather, the ability to take the time required to sort out your situation. Immediate and permanent bailout has some limitations, and removing tools (the unit itself) from the emergency toolbox for something so easily correctable is just silly in my mind.

Yes, there are absolutely failures where the unit is irrevocably non-functional. But by minimizing those you give the diver options that could save their life. And ultimately that’s always the goal, to get back dry in one piece.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. That people still buy rEvo’s, despite the fact that you can end up carrying a unit full of water back on deck with no way of rectifying that, proves that most people don’t really care or understand the consequences of certain design choices. Rebreather diving is a risky endeavor. We all have our own ideas about acceptable risk levels. To me, piss poor flood tolerance is a hard stop. Clearly others feel differently. As long as one can justify it to themselves, or really their loved ones, ultimately that’s the driver.....

Folks...

It's in the nature of a rebreather to flood...anything that is closed or sealed...that springs a leak...in the water...will flood...and flooding is caused by numerous conditions...either singularly...or in combination of...

Some of the common causes are...accidentally having the DSV open when it's not in your mouth/failing to strictly adhere to a formal pre-dive assembly checklist/failure to properly seal any fitting connection/failure/rupture of a water-tight component/failure to do things right/DIY modifications/using old components that are past their service life and no longer able to seal properly...to name just a few...

While flood tolerance may differ between units...flood avoidance has less to do with the rebreather...and more to do with the protocols followed by the rebreather user...

I've always said...there are divers...and there are people that dive...and there is a huge difference between the two...the same goes for rebreathers...

There are those that own rebreathers...and there are rebreather divers...I challenge anyone who owns a rebreather to sell...with the exception of bailout/stage/deco all the open circuit gear you own and dive with a rebreather full time...I did...for almost four years...

The primary problem with all rebreathers has absolutely nothing to do with the rebreather but why the rebreather was purchased in the first place...rebreathers are like guitars...most of them are languishing away in a closet somewhere because of the inherent challenges faced trying to use them properly...or the costs required in using them regularly...most...and I'm saying most...rebreathers for sale on resale markets are pristine...very seldom do you find a used unit that was used/loved...near end of life and is being sold for parts...

What you do...and why you do it...have to be aligned...to have the most tricked out kit on the dive boat...is the wrong reason...that reason alone more often than not comes back to personally embarrass you when something goes wrong...

I recently sold all my rebreather equipment...as old age is not coming without its challenges...I did enjoy every minute of the time I spent beneath the waves with the rebreather...and I like to think I dove with the rebreather for the right reasons...never had a leak...or any other reason to abort...in almost 200 rebreather dives...

We're all different...with different reasons that seem suitable for each one of us...

I've never attempted airline travel with a rebreather...so I can't comment...

W...

De-watering, the ability to remove water from the rebreather so as to establish a viable loop. If your unit can’t tolerate a flood, in my mind it’s unsafe to use. It removes a significant benefit to diving a rebreather, the ability to take the time required to sort out your situation. Immediate and permanent bailout has some limitations, and removing tools (the unit itself) from the emergency toolbox for something so easily correctable is just silly in my mind.

Yes, there are absolutely failures where the unit is irrevocably non-functional. But by minimizing those you give the diver options that could save their life. And ultimately that’s always the goal, to get back dry in one piece.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. That people still buy rEvo’s, despite the fact that you can end up carrying a unit full of water back on deck with no way of rectifying that, proves that most people don’t really care or understand the consequences of certain design choices. Rebreather diving is a risky endeavor. We all have our own ideas about acceptable risk levels. To me, piss poor flood tolerance is a hard stop. Clearly others feel differently. As long as one can justify it to themselves, or really their loved ones, ultimately that’s the driver.....
The Revo can actually be dewatered. It is just that most people have never taken the time to figure out the method and practiced it to make it a viable tool. It may not be pretty or easy, but it definitely is doable. Any unit with an OPV can be dewatered if you get the OPV to the lowest possible point and do a dil purge. As far as I know, no one instructs this or advocates that it be done though. I tend to be that idiot who has to try things and create answers to my problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom