Melbourne in October for Sea dragons - Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h20_kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be visiting Melbourne (from NZ) from October 5-14. I would love to dive to find some sea dragons. My understanding is they are typically found under piers (Portsea in particular). I guess my best bet would be to find a buddy and go shore diving. Any ideas how I could go about finding a buddy? Anyone aware of dive centres that organise these types of shore dives? Thanks

I'll be visiting Melbourne (from NZ) from October 5-14. I would love to dive to find some sea dragons. My understanding is they are typically found under piers (Portsea in particular). I guess my best bet would be to find a buddy and go shore diving. Any ideas how I could go about finding a buddy? Anyone aware of dive centres that organise these types of shore dives? Thanks

After having taken some advice on Diveoz I went diving Flinders Pier. A very easy dive, 8 m max on High tide and I've seen about 10 sea dragons + a seal.
I hired the gears in Melbourne and did it alone, the Sea Dragons were at the end of the pier, much more by the pier than under the pier.

I've been surprised by their size, i was looking for small stuff like sea horse hidden in the seaweeds, they are about 30-40 cm long in fact !:shocked2:

My dive club (has a buddy finder service). The club is academy of scuba in glen iris.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2

After having taken some advice on Diveoz I went diving Flinders Pier. A very easy dive, 8 m max on High tide and I've seen about 10 sea dragons + a seal.
I hired the gears in Melbourne and did it alone, the Sea Dragons were at the end of the pier, much more by the pier than under the pier.

I've been surprised by their size, i was looking for small stuff like sea horse hidden in the seaweeds, they are about 30-40 cm long in fact !:shocked2:

Wow! I'm rather surprised too. I figured they would be small as well. So does their size mean they are easy to spot or are they well hidden?

I'll see if I can find a buddy as that would be my preference. If not, I could do what you did and just go it alone.

cheers

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:18 PM ----------

My dive club (has a buddy finder service). The club is academy of scuba in glen iris.

I checked out the website. It looks great if you are a club member as the buddy finder service is free. For non-members it's $40 to use the buddy finder service. Not really worth it for finding a buddy for one day of diving! :(

Just call them. There may be guided dives on that could jump on board on. Or they might know someone heading out. They are a great dive shop/ club!!

Wow! I'm rather surprised too. I figured they would be small as well. So does their size mean they are easy to spot or are they well hidden?

I'll see if I can find a buddy as that would be my preference. If not, I could do what you did and just go it alone.

cheers

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:18 PM ----------

They were easy to spot. I had a very good viz : more than 10 m.

585.JPG 620.JPG 598.JPG 601.JPG

Hi

The academy of scuba club meets every thursday night at the glen iris shop. You could most likely find a buddy there. I agree with other post;ypu could call the shop and put your name down.
They also have a house in rye where you can stay (bunks) for 40$ a night I think.

Apparently Flinders pier is the place to go as was mentioned above

If I remember I will ask at club for you next Thursday.
Im not sure what me and the missus are doing that weekend but happy to answer questions at least: pm if you like

Dive Victoria also have some crackin boat dives. We usually do two dives in a day.often one pier dive;and one boat. Bring your warm gear;water temp is in low teens...

Cheers
Scott

h20_kat did you manage to find someone to go diving with this weekend??

Someone once told me you can get macro diving in the calibre of 'Lembeh' in Melbourne...

You can see...

..."- seahorses
-bull rays
- blennies
- octopus
- blue ring octopus
- stargzers
-flounder
- velvet fish
- frog fish, tasseled ones too
- spider crabs"...

Right MA? :blinking: