Meikon EM1 housing, any experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can program the arrow buttons on the back for what Olympus calls ez zoom

Does the E-M1's flash have to be folded down like in the Olympus PT-EP11 or flipped up?

About the Meikon housing:

My advice would be to buy it somewhere where you can complain and bring it back.

My problems with the e-m5 housing were:

1) Program selector wheel initially didn't work. Got a larger rubber wheel for it after ½year that helped.

2)Trigger button didn't get fully up at depth. This problem increased through it's life.. had to use a knife to lift it up after every shot..
It didn't help that I cleaned and lubricated it - would need a stronger spring. The spring is reported to be stronger on the e-m1 housing which has a trigger helper arm.

3) The housing is rated 40m. When I bring it to 40-50m, it tends to leak a few drops - like a single sprinkle of water gets in. Tried it several times, and always just ~5 drops sprayed everywhere. When you get up, you dry it, then at next dive there is humidity inside the housing that will fog the port..
Those ~5drops don't feel that good either - could it be more in some cases? It has only happened below 40m though.

About the Meikon housing:

My advice would be to buy it somewhere where you can complain and bring it back.

My problems with the e-m5 housing were:

1) Program selector wheel initially didn't work. Got a larger rubber wheel for it after ½year that helped.

2)Trigger button didn't get fully up at depth. This problem increased through it's life.. had to use a knife to lift it up after every shot..
It didn't help that I cleaned and lubricated it - would need a stronger spring. The spring is reported to be stronger on the e-m1 housing which has a trigger helper arm.

3) The housing is rated 40m. When I bring it to 40-50m, it tends to leak a few drops - like a single sprinkle of water gets in. Tried it several times, and always just ~5 drops sprayed everywhere. When you get up, you dry it, then at next dive there is humidity inside the housing that will fog the port..
Those ~5drops don't feel that good either - could it be more in some cases? It has only happened below 40m though.
Thanks for the info. The shutter release button looked like it could be a problem. I've had Canon housings that were affected at depth the same way you describe. I very much like the lever type shutter release on my Olympus housing and plan to stick with that sort of setup. So, for now I'm going to pass on the Meikon housings.

View attachment 197630

Received mine from ebay. USD 200.
Fit perfectly for 12-40mm PRO and 60mm Macro
Not very ergonomic with the trigger button, but can compensate, no big deal.
No flip diopter holder or wet lense mount option (unless self-mod)
All buttons and functions are accessible
Pressure chamber leak test is negative.
Very light housing
Double O-ring seal

Another reason to go Micro 4/3 now.

does the housing fully control the zoom function of the lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom