Meg Ledge Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving out of Wilmington or Carolina Beach, the meg ledges are generally about 110 fsw or so. The area can have currents, depends on the moon phases, tides, and Gulf Stream. I've only scratched one dive there due to current. Sans any near Hurricane passes, the fall is the best time to dive here. The water is the warmest, tropical fish are dense, and the vis is usually good. Temps will be anywhere from 71 up to 81 on the bottom...last weekend, it was 82 on the bottom near the meg ledges in the same water. I wear a 3 mm with no hood on extended range dives with no chill, but I'm a big boy. Bring a good reel, don't tie it to the anchor, but low in proximity. Wrap around rocks every 20 feet or so, and keep your line tight. Don't get obsessed with the damn teeth, they can really distract you from minding your gauges. Generally vis is pretty good, but the reason you run a line is that the broken up ledges where the teeth are usually found don't really make good navigational sense, because stuff is all strewn about everywhere. There is no natural navigation perse on most of the "meg ledges". I dive the Disneyland area regularly, have my share of teeth, and I am a local. Hope this helps you plan your trip. Think big triangles, and if it looks too big to be a tooth, its a tooth. Good luck, and be safe!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom