Meet for diving or shark tooth hunting - Charleston SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
Would like to meet others interested in diving offshore Charleston SC and offshore Wilmington NC. Also like hear from, and meet with shark tooth hunters interested in diving the Cooper River and Edisto River. I am not a winter diver, so during the winter months I will be digging for sharks teeth in creeks, and gravel beds in the edge of the local rivers. Would enjoy meeting and planning walk-in shark tooth hunts and local diving. You can message me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo from Prehistoric Florida Facebook Page

525826_360287690679264_731866590_n.jpg

Lee we will take you up on your offer this next season. Kate, my better half, has been bitten by the shark tooth bug pretty bad and I enjoy it enough to plan the trips. Venice before and after Christmas in a couple of weeks will hopefully pop our meg tooth cherry.

Oh, how I wish that I had seen this thread earlier. I am currently vacationing on Edisto Island, and my husband and I acquired our fossil hunting bug diving in Venice, Florida. Would have loved taking up the hunt while we're here.

Hello Randy and thanks for the response. The shark tooth bug will sneak up on you. Better watch out!

Right now I am hoping to finds some locals, or visitors, that want to dig in the creeks on the weekends. It is just a hobby. I do not charge. I do it for fun. I have not found anything BIG in the creeks yet but have found LOTS of small sharks teeth. I also want to do some wade-in scooping and sifting in the gravel beds in the edges of the rivers. I have found some 1.5 inch-ers doing this. If you are down this way during the winter and would like to kill some time stomping through the creeks and rivers edge, let me know and we will go.

I have Venice on my mind also. I have dove there many times over the years. From what I gather, the locals hit the bottom early in the season and gather the teeth that have become exposed through the winter. But on the other hand, one never knows when a tooth will show itself. One thing is for certain, if you don't put in the time and money, you will come up empty handed.

I am hoping to get into the Peace River for shark tooth hunting ... soon. Maybe within the next 3 months.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2012 at 09:25 PM ----------

Hello Joystershell and thank you for the posting. I am about 60 minutes north of Edisto Island. I am on James Island. I am employed so I will not be available until the weekend, but I can advise you on a potential site (a few miles from you) to hunt on Edisto Island. If you were going to be here come the weekend we could hit a walk-in gravel bed (about 30 miles up river) in the Edisto river. We would be wading, scooping and screening. I do know of one of the best river guides here (for hire) and he may be available tomorrow and this week. He is retired but still obsessed with hunting sharks teeth and will take you in his boat in the Edisto river if you want to scuba fossil hunt.

I have not dove around Edisto but they do find large Megs in those back waters.

ps: one of the local Scuba stores of 25 years is having their annual Christmas party Saturday night if you are going to be around. LOTS of socializing

here is a video i took of us shark tooth hunting in the Edisto river

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link to a thread I started in January. It has LOTS of postings from shark tooth hunters. You may enjoy it!

Any fossilers wanna show off some some photos? <<<< Click Here

Last edited:
Now we definitely need to plan a return trip!!! This week has been too short, have to leave paradise on Friday and return to reality on Monday. :-(

Would like to meet others interested in diving offshore Charleston SC and offshore Wilmington NC. Also like hear from, and meet with shark tooth hunters interested in diving the Cooper River and Edisto River. I am not a winter diver, so during the winter months I will be digging for sharks teeth in creeks, and gravel beds in the edge of the local rivers. Would enjoy meeting and planning walk-in shark tooth hunts and local diving. You can message me here, or voice mail or text, to (843) 580-2912

Hey Lee,

I'm down in Beaufort and have similiar interests. My name is Rob and I don't typically dive in the winter either. But the weather hasn't been typical lately and I'm tempted to start earlier this season. Would love to hunt on land (only have down this once at Santee, SC) and also avid metal detectorist.

the water warmed up earlier than usual in 2012 rac. i suspect it will do the same in 2013. i think 2012 was a good season for diving. the seemed the weather allowed the dive shops run their boats and people were able to get out and dive without being hit with cancellations, bouncy seas, lightning, high winds, etc. i have done enough diving so that these days the diving for me is about the people as much is it is about gear and technicalities.

the problem i find with hunting on land is that most land is owned and permission is required. the rivers and ocean are open to the public. i will likely allow two more months to pass before i start thinking about getting my scuba gear wet

Back
Top Bottom