June shark dives - Eastern US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tumbler31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi friends! I'm brand new to the group, glad I found you all!

My daughter (15) and I are passionate about diving. She is obsessed with sharks. I would like to plan a weekend of shark diving for us in mid-June, someplace that is relatively not too far away (we live in Charleston, SC), thinking FL, Bahamas, or similar. Top preference would be to dive with whale sharks, but in the little I've researched for June, it seems like Belize would be the best option, and for a long weekend that's a lot of travel. I've messaged with Leigh Cobb about Tiger Beach in Bimini, but she says the tigers will be gone by then. She also recommends Jupiter.

Any & all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

No perfect solution for one weekend. Weather may become an issue.

North Carolina and sand tigers may be an option. Pros not far from you, weather permitting almost guarantied sighting (check olimpus dive). Cons long boat ride susseptable to weather and sea sickness.

Jupiter: much shorter boat ride but only shark feeding dive will guarantied sharks (check emerald charters). If you are not ok with shark feeding, regular operators (check jupiter dive center) will give you about 50% of seing sharks passing by time to time.

Cancun-isla mujeres you can snorkel with whale shark. Not the best option but you will see whale sharks in June. I did it once. No regrets but will not do it again.

Bahamas, I have only liveaboard experience seing sharks on about 50% of the dives

What kind of shark dive are you looking for, "natural" or baited/fed? Jupiter has both.

You have missed Lemon Shark aggregation in Jupiter for this year. See my report from March 19 Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida photos Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida

There is a good chance to see Reef Sharks on many of the reef dives in Jupiter. I had a very good recent dive, see my report from April 28 Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida, part 2 and the photos Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida, part 2

If you can catch a trip to Deep Ledge, you might have a chance to see some Bull Sharks

I plan to go to morehead city in june for an opportunity to see sand tigers, I understand olympus does specific charters to the wrecks that have a plethora of sand tigers on them, there are no gaurantees of a shark sighting but they do know where they are and tend to take you to them.

I'd recommend you check out Morehead, NC options for non-baited off-shore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks. Trip Report:
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

I've gone on 7 shark feed dives with Emerald Charter and I really enjoyed it, but unless and until you've been in the water with some fairly large sharks of less potentially dangerous species (e.g.: sand tiger or lemon sharks), I suggest not jumping straight into shark feed dives with an agenda to draw tiger sharks. Especially with a minor.

I've been to Jupiter twice; I'll post my trip reports to give you some idea what it was like for me.
Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

And it's my understanding the Bahamas get some of the larger tiger sharks than we saw in Jupiter. I've been in the water with a tiger shark nearly 10 feet long, and that was plenty big enough for me.

For that matter, some lemon sharks get quite large.

Wow, there is a huge difference between diving with plankton eating whale sharks versus carnivorous sharks that have been artificially aggregated and stimulated by the presence of bloody fish and chum. It’s great that your young daughter is interested in seeing sharks, but tiger beach and other spots in Florida aren’t Disney world. There have been some accidents that you should be aware of before booking a trip.

Weather and sea conditions are always an issue but if you can catch a good day, the sand tigers off NC are the best. It's not uncommon to get within arms length of large sharks. I have on several occasions had them U turn while passing me on a shipwreck and "school" with me within a few feet the entire length of the ship. While unnerving as all get out the first time or 2 it happens, it's an experience you will not forget.
The other issue you need to consider is depth, plan on 60-100 ft depths. While in the area, be sure to visit one of the aquariums, they all have sand tigers in the large tank. Well worth seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom