Meet and Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think its off of 33rd and gulf by holmes beach bradenton, you just head toward the buey to the south of 33rd and about 50ft further out than the buey, or so I have been told. I think I may head there tomorrow morning.

I can't make it. Will be in Orlando for the weekend. Went to Anna Maria on Saturday. The sea was super calm.

I have been doing some research about bridges around here and from what I have found, Bull sharks are rampant during the warm weather because they follow the tarpon...But I carry a knife so who cares! I dove Spanish Rocks this moring..but I didnt find it.. I did find Sugar Barge though... or whats left of it.

When I think of diving TB I think bull sharks and bad vis. Anyone have any knowledge of shark defense? Seems you could use the spear gun to prod them away if they get too inquisitive.

You can surely poke them away, and maybe that shark will leave, but with the low vis, you wont see the shark until its too late. But from what I hear, they dont bother SCUBA as much because of the noise. Having one person on shark watch while another spears would be a good idea. I am probably going to build a bang stick with 12' gauge rounds. There is a video on youtube of some kids skindiving at howard franklin btw. Sheepshead.

May/June is I believe the bull shark mating season. Couldn't pay me to get in the water off my boat ramp at crisp park.

I remember a story about a kid who was water skiing in the bay, fell, got hit by a bull and died, it always stuck with me because the boat was over the shark seconds before the attack and it didn't scare it away.

I have a friend who pilots a banner plane out of Albert Whitted. He never gets in the water anymore because he sees all the sharks from the sky, he took a cell phone vid of 11 sharks swimming along the SLAMMED FULL beach not 20 feet from shore, these sharks were 5 feet from people and they didn't even know.

Back in my heavy fishing days we would pole behind weedon island in no more than 12 inches of water and still see the bulls back in there along with the normal bonnet heads. Ive been shore fishing the channel between shell island and pass a grille when i pulled up 5 feet of snub nose hate on a string, couldn't cut that line fast enough lol.

In all my years on the water in Tampa bay and the inter-coastal Ive only been scared of sharks once and it was my fault not the sharks. They are everywhere all the time and absolutely outrank us on the food chain. Don't swim at twilight or in may or alone or jump off your dock into schools of fish and you will prob be fine. Having said that i feel compelled to say Florida is the shark attack capitol of the world so safe diving everyone.

Good advice John. I dont think I am going to spear under any bridges until the fall.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom