Medication question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Countdown is on for my 2 weeks of Palau diving. I will be doing multiple dives a day for 2 straght weeks. I got bent 1 1/2 yrs ago in Coz (unexplained). Factors considered were as follows. 1- I went for a 7 mile walk in the August heat the evening before the hit (hit occurred next night after night dive), 2- I take a water pill for hypertension. usually I stop taking it during dive trips because I don't want it to exacerbate dehydration, 3- I had a pfo(since repaired).

Since then I have been a week at Cocoview with no problems but this is Palau. Deeper more current, 2 weeks etc.

I have heard that the water pill probably was not a big contributor, but, why take chances. But I also heard that if youy have been taking them for a long time (I have been taking them for several years) that they no longer contribute to dehydration - I don't know why that would be true so here I am.

Question. Should I stop taking the pill now, 2 weeks before the trip? or should I keep taking it till after the plane trip (2 looong days) where bodys tend to swell with extra fluid? Or should I just keep taking it? My blood pressure is fine with other pills I am taking (both of which have been cleared for diving) so I could stop taking the water pill (metalozone) for a period of time without significant risk. My doctor said I would be fine if I stopped taking it for a few weeks but he isn't an expert on how it would affect my vulnerability to another hit. He did sign off on all my medical questionaires without reservation.

Thanks, Jay

Jay,
Your cardiologist is in a much better position to advise you on whether to stop a medication or not. Existing cardiac issues may be exacerbated by immersion, so that's a consideration to discuss with him or her. It is possible to keep yourself sufficiently hydrated while on metolazone, so if you keep your fluid intake up, that shouldn't affect you while diving. Metolazone can cause low levels of potassium, sodium, chloride and magnesium, so you'll need to be mindful of your electrolyte intake. Again, your cardiologist can advise you on how best to do this, and if you've been taking it for a while, you're probably already educated on that. Have a great trip!
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom