Medicated hypertension & Scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Stephan-

New
Reaction score
Since this is my first post, please allow me to thank you for a most informative forum used by those with a passion for Scuba diving.

I have a question which hopefully have a relatively simple answer.
I suffer from a genetic form of hypertension (high blood pressure) and have been managing the condition effectively by taking Coversyl Plus with the active ingredients being perindopril and indapamide. Perindopril is a type of medicine called an ACE inhibitor while Indapamide is a type of medicine called a diuretic.

The dosage I use is one tablet containing 4 mg Perindopril tert-butylamine and 1.25 mg Indapamide in the morning after breakfast.

Question: Can one safely dive while using Coversyl Plus for hypertension?

Question: Can one safely dive while using Coversyl Plus for hypertension?

Hi Stephan,

The following
response is predicated on the assumption that the diver's HBP is uncomplicated and well-controlled on Coversyl Plus, and no significant side effects are in evidence, e.g., persistent cough, a not uncommon side effect of ACE inhibitors with implications for diving.

As far as antihypertensives go, ACE inhibitors (e.g., perindopril) are among the least worrisome when it comes to scuba. Because this combination formulation also contains a diuretic (indapamide) the diver taking it will want to make sure s/he stays well-hydrated, but this should not be problematic.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Kindly allow me to thank both respondents for their reassuring replies!

With much appreciation,
Stephan

Back
Top Bottom