Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see, a dive op wants to reduce their risk by doing what they can to ensure a diver does not have a condition that might put their staff, other guests, or the diver themselves at risk?
Perfectly reasonable request and would make me more likely to use them.

Let's see, a dive op wants to reduce their risk by doing what they can to ensure a diver does not have a condition that might put their staff, other guests, or the diver themselves at risk?
I plan on using them, just have never been asked from any op previously so I was curious.

I would never give a dive op a medical form listing everything that might be required for an agency dive course unless I am taking the course. If a medical form is requested for a recreational dive, I will show them a physician's letter stating I am medically qualified for unrestricted recreational diving without limitations. If that is not good enough for them, they can call the physician on their dime. However, I think the dive ops know it would be a waste of their time because my dive doc is not going to hand over my medical information to some dive op without my written permission. My one sentence letter has been fine whenever I have been asked, and if it ever becomes problematic, I will cross that dive op off my list and give my money to someone else. Yes, I understand the concept of "their dive shop and their rules", but they also understand that "it is my money and my rules."

So that makes it perfectly acceptable :)

You’ve got the context wrong. I stated it’s unacceptable. The context therefore is that it’s unacceptable to me. Therefore, I would not give them my business. You can do whatever you wish.

I can't remember the last time I was able to dive somewhere without providing some sort of medical statement...sometimes oral, sometimes check a box that I have no problems they should be aware of, sometimes a copy of the RSTC form, sometimes their own form. Their dive operation, their rules. I don't mind it so long as I know in advance.

A few years ago we had a group arrive at a dive boat in the Maldives and when we boarded they handed us an RSTC form and said fill it out and sign it. We huddled as a group, talked it over, and we all handed in total lies....No to everything, no signature by a Doctor needed by anyone. We had no alternative. After the trip, the outfit marketing that boat got an uncensored piece of my mind...and that boat is no longer one of their fleet.

I can't remember the last time I was able to dive somewhere without providing some sort of medical statement...sometime oral, sometimes check a box that I have no problems they should be aware of, sometimes a copy of the RSTC form, sometimes their own form.

Stating on a release via my initials/signature that I have no known medical issue I am aware of that precludes me from diving is something entirely different than being asked for a completed medical form similar to the RSTC form. The former I've had to do all the time, the later only for paid course work leading to certification. The former I have no issue with, that later I have a real problem with.

yeah, and if something happens to the diver due to an undisclosed underlying medical condition, the op can't be at fault. it's on record that the diver omitted that info and said they were fine to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom