Medical form for dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a BVI LOB trip last May with Tradewinds, they required anyone over 65 to bring a "note" from a doctor clearing them to dive.... We were all made aware of this requirement well in advance of the trip. My first thought was.... what doctor in their right mind would write that letter.... So I called my doc and asked for something basic and he provided exactly the following..... on his letterhead and signed.

To Whom It May Concern,

__________________ is under my care. He is in overall good health and he has no known contraindications to participating in recreational scuba diving.

Please contact my office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

When we arrived they just glanced at our c-cards and then put the letters into their folder without even looking at them and handed us our welcome rum punch..

As for the previous comments about folks being overweight......my personal observation is that many of the older divers with some extra insulation....on average..... seem to be more competent in the water than many of the "skinny" younger folks.

On a BVI LOB trip last May with Tradewinds, they required anyone over 65 to bring a "note" from a doctor clearing them to dive.... We were all made aware of this requirement well in advance of the trip. My first thought was.... what doctor in their right mind would write that letter.... So I called my doc and asked for something basic and he provided exactly the following..... on his letterhead and signed.

To Whom It May Concern,

__________________ is under my care. He is in overall good health and he has no known contraindications to participating in recreational scuba diving.

Please contact my office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

When we arrived they just glanced at our c-cards and then put the letters into their folder without even looking at them and handed us our welcome rum punch..

As for the previous comments about folks being overweight......my personal observation is that many of the older divers with some extra insulation....on average..... seem to be more competent in the water than many of the "skinny" younger folks.
I think they are more concerned with health risks associated with extra insulation, not competency. I am sure there is a lot of data to support overweight divers are more competent;-)

I think they are more concerned with health risks associated with extra insulation, not competency. I am sure there is a lot of data to support overweight divers are more competent;-)
I totally get that.....But as an operator, who would you prefer to have on your boat. An overweight competent diver, or an underweight incompetent diver?

I totally get that.....But as an operator, who would you prefer to have on your boat. An overweight competent diver, or an underweight incompetent diver?
I am not sure which has more risk for the operator. I believe more recreational divers die from heart issues than accidents but that is just an observation .

I am not sure which has more risk for the operator. I believe more recreational divers die from heart issues than accidents but that is just an observation .
Yep.... I get it. And I am technically in the category of an overweight diver according to the strict BMI tables. But I still feel competent and confident. If I have a heart attack and die while diving then so be it and the operator can deal with it....or not. If a totally bulimic skinny malnutritioned millennial died of a heart attack, would the operator be responsible?

And what has BMI got to do with the price of tea in China?

Diving is a gentle pass time. Requires skills not muscles. That's why we have diver lifts.

We've all got to go sometime. All the medical preventions in the world won't stop the grim reaper.

It's up to the diver to decide. Obviously they need to be honest with themselves if they've got broken limbs, lungs, heart, blackouts, fits...

The CYA attitude seems mostly prevalent in places that use the catchphrase "I'll sue you". Actions have consequences.

And what has BMI got to do with the price of tea in China?

Diving is a gentle pass time. Requires skills not muscles. That's why we have diver lifts.

We've all got to go sometime. All the medical preventions in the world won't stop the grim reaper.

It's up to the diver to decide. Obviously they need to be honest with themselves if they've got broken limbs, lungs, heart, blackouts, fits...

The CYA attitude seems mostly prevalent in places that use the catchphrase "I'll sue you". Actions have consequences.
Have you read the thread?

I don't, personally see an issue with doing a medical form. Especially with today's societally sue happy mentality. But, to each his or her own.

People reading this thread should also read this thread, especially post #61.

Back
Top Bottom