Med forum for meds only to answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really suggesting that there should be a filter to restrict noise. There have been several medical threads over the past number of years that are important and have consequential meaning to divers on SB. Having professionals like Mike R., Simon M. UKMC and DDM offer their advice is an incredible resource on medical forums.
This is the internet. You might be in the wrong place for that.

Au contraire. I'm in the right place. Works well in i2i. Remember that SB is a moderated forum. Works better that way. That's why we like it and keep coming back. I'm old enough to remember rec.scuba.

I'm not sure what tridacna was suggesting relative to what we have now. I just wanted to relate my experience trying to moderate medical questions.

I agree with a number of statements by @doctormike . There is definitely a value in one or several of medical SB members helping their buddies understand medical lingo, anatomy, physiology or point them in the right direction, or help interpret a piece of medical literature. It is impossible to make a medical diagnosis without seeing and examining the patient, so it is critical that everybody understands that it is not a “medical advice” but rather an educational opportunity. I think it would be very difficult to distinguish what identifies one as a medical professional, especially pertaining to diving medicine. MD, possibly. How about advanced nurse practitioner (ARNPs) or physician assistants (PAs)? How about a nurse? How about a nurse who may have worked at the hyperbaric chamber for the last 30 years :) ? EMT? Coast guard rescue?
I also agree with @doctormike that it would be very difficult to sensor other members responses, unless they are violating a code of conduct.
I suppose you can identify Med personnel with a separate badge, but I am not sure what kind of weight it will have. And more importantly who will vet them... It is a difficult problem that I think social media faces in general of figuring out true vs false identity of members...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom