Mean $ Diving in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all

I just did a trip to Lembeh for a week and all up inc fare of $1000 it cost me $A1800 or about 1600 US. I want to get in the water more as I am retired.

My question is where are the cheap good spots in Indonesia, PNG, Phillipines etc etc

You can't get cheaper than I am prepared to go but I dont want a grass hut with a fire outside the door and I would prefer some creature comforts, air cond is an option to me not essential.

I have already locked in a trip to Bunaken for next year and I would like to go to Bali in March but everything I am looking at in Bali is up to the 'normal' $3000 to 3500 price range.

Also love liveaboards but cannot find one for less than the 'normal' price.

regards

Ardy,
Bali can be cheaper than Lembeh, In Tulamben you can find budget accomodation for USD 15/ night/room incl. breakfast. If you have buddy, you can do shore dive for USD 7/tank - no guide.
SB forum member kathydee is real expert for budget travelling in Indonesia / asia. Just PM her

I did a "Safari" trip with Bajo Dive Club(Bajo Dive Club, Flores - Indonesia) last October. They last 3-5 days, have an excellent DM, and are good value for money. I think it was $125us/day plus park fees.

To get to Komodo, you fly to Bali, then take a prop plane to Labuan Bajo on Flores. Flight was ~$100US for me. I haven't been to Palau or the Maldives, but IMO Komodo has some of the best diving anywhere.

Thanks guys I will check them out, Have done a trip to Tulamben and enjoyed it. Anyone done a 'cheap' trip to PNG or Phillipines? Might put this on their sites.

imho, there is no cheap trips to PNG...
Where in Bali did u find $3k to $3.5k trips? For 1wk??
If my memory still serves me correctly, diving Bali (Tulamben) is the most inexpensive (exc air tix), maybe because of the shore dives & furthermore, food also costs less... Compared to Bunaken & Lembeh, PH- Malapascua & Bohol, M'sia - Sipadan, Mabul...

If my memory still serves me correctly, diving Bali (Tulamben) is the most inexpensive (exc air tix), maybe because of the shore dives & furthermore, food also costs less... Compared to Bunaken & Lembeh, PH- Malapascua & Bohol, M'sia - Sipadan, Mabul...

Xariatay,
You can spend easily that money if you stay at Amankila resort, Manggis near Candidasa. Their cheapest accomodation is USD750/night :( excl. tax & services. and excl. transportation by helicopter. Their 5 days LOB package cost USD 5 digits.
They have a long list of hollywood stars who diving with them. So, if you want to dive with style - this is the place.

However, we (4 pax) stayed in nice spacious accomodation w/ AC for a week in Tulamben lastmonth and spent less than USD2,700 for four of us for 2 pax unlimited diving, 2 pax 3 dives/day, 1 pax Jr. OW course and 1 pax AOW + all meals.
Not many place in the world you can get any cheaper.

Cheers

We have a couple of dive travel companies in Australia and it seems no matter where I want to go (ex Liveaboards) the money is 3500 or there abouts inc air fare.

We have decided to go to Bali next March and will do a couple of days in Ubud, then a weeks diving mostly in Tulamben but maybe a couple of days in Menjangan Island are there any resorts/villas on the island or is it all national park? then a couple of days near a sand beach somewhere if we cant get a place near a beach on Menjangan.

Any ideas of a nice villa style accommodation near a quiet beach on Menjangan Island for 2-3 days?

No accomodation on the Menjangan Island...
We stayed at Mimpi Menjangan Resort, it was very nice! They have hot spring tubs by the water. But they are not on the beach, more like a mangrove area... We used Mimpi Resort Menjangan in West Part of Bali to book Mimpi & it was less/least expensive.
Permuteran (abt 15mins away from Mimpi Menjangan) has a nice black sandy beach & it is quiet, but the accom at Mimpi Menjangan looked more "upmarket" & has a resort feel to it...

Xariatay,
You can spend easily that money if you stay at Amankila resort, Manggis near Candidasa. Their cheapest accomodation is USD750/night :( excl. tax & services. and excl. transportation by helicopter. Their 5 days LOB package cost USD 5 digits.
They have a long list of hollywood stars who diving with them. So, if you want to dive with style - this is the place.

Cheers

:rofl3: Thanks for reminding me that there lots of rich people out there, how did I forget abt them??! Actually I forget that Bali does have lots of upmarket resorts, which are regularly featured in those luxurious travel magazines & tv progs too...
But for $3k, think would go to the Maldives for a week - on a less luxurious lob... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom