Mean Bees on Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Since they originated in South America, then migrated to North America long ago, I'm surprised we hadn't heard about them on the peninsula before - but I guess I missed the earlier events...

Family and one rescuer hospitalized, pets killed, bad day in paradise:
Killer Bees Attack in Cozumel - The Yucatan Times
The neighborhood of San Miguel in Cozumel was in virtual lockdown on the evening of Sunday April 12th, when residents came under the attack of a swarm of angry bees.

Four members of a family in the CTM neighborhood were hospitalized after the bees entered their home and attacked them, around 6:00 pm. A firefighter was also hospitalized, while the family’s three dogs died from multiple bee stings.
Authorities yellow taped several blocks to avoid further attacks, and urged residents to remain in their homes with doors and windows closed.
When firefighters were called to the scene they found the bees had focused their attack on one home, where the family, including two children aged 9 and 14, remained trapped inside. They were rescued by emergency personnel and transferred to a local hospital.

Three hours later, the situation was under control after the bees were exterminated.
There were at least three reports of similar attacks in February in Quintana Roo and Yucatán.

In Merida, Yucatán, an attack was reported at a private school during the month of January, also twelve people suffered multiple stings when a swarm of bees attacked a psychiatric hospital a couple of weeks later.

While in Playa del Carmen, two were hospitalized when a swarm attacked about a dozen people outside a shopping center in Santa Fe.
In Cancún, three employees of a daycare center were attacked and hospitalized.
In all cases the insects were described as Africanized bees, also known as “killer bees”.
Health authorities in Yucatán reported last month there were eight deaths in the state last year as a result of attacks by Africanized bees.

The insects are the result of a cross between European and African bees and combine the best and worst of both, according to Geo-Mexico. Once disturbed, they react 10 times faster than European bees and can pursue a human victim for as far as 300-400 meters.
An agitated Africanized bee will also attack anything it deems offensive as far as 400 meters from its hive, says a report on bee attacks in Mexico by the website Saudicaves, while another source reports they can stay angry for days.

Fired up the DDT and nuked em it sounds like lol.

I carried a can of Bear Spray all over Big Bend NP. I guess I can carry Hornet Spray on the island.

There was an article or something a while ago about another incident. The Bomberos had to get the bees. I think that killed a dog or two and sent some people to the hospital as I recall.

And you better be a heck of shot with that hornet spray there, Tex!

Geez! The only safe place is under water!!! Think my op will just keep throwing tanks over for me to stay under?? :wink:

On a serious note though, sad for the family to lose their family pets, and to be attacked in their own home. While I was still living in Texas, there were several incidents of serious bee attacks, and even deaths caused by the attacks. Scary stuff.

El Graduado had a close encounter with those bees about a year or so ago that he posted on the thread Worst of Cozumel....scarey!

THAT'S where I read it. Now I remember. Thanks

Seems likely that if the bees are attacking people in one house or one school or one hospital, then they've built their hive in those places. I.e. ceiling, walls, attics

Shiver

And non-divers think we should be afraid of sharks.:shark: <---- nah!! :bee: <---- :shocked:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom