Me and my REG dilema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
O.K...I asked this in another forum...but I want to get some more responses now that I've narrowed down my choices a bit.

I am still undecided on what reg to get...I am still looking at a Mares mr-22 abyss with a proton back-up....or an Apeks Atx 100 with Atx-50 back-up. I know that the mares' 1st stage is not sealed....and it does not have a dial adjustment on the second stage...I have ruled out Scuba Pro....but more b/c there's no one around I trust to work on it.

Second...I am more than likely going to be sending my reg to a shop in Indianapolis to get its annual service....I just trust the guy who owns that shop more than anyone else I've met and he dives the abyss...has been for years.

What other advantages would the Apeks have over the Mares?
What advantages does the Mares have over the Apeks?

Thanks again guys...

They are both good scuba makers.

Just buy one and go diving.

I would pay more attention to the BC than the reg. All people breathe the same but they don't have the same bodies.

I have an Apeks TX50 and it's great. I have a Poseidon Odin and it's great. I have a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 and it's great. See the trend?

...and get the ATX40 as a backup instead, and save some money - the only difference is that the 50 has a finetuning knob, and you don't need to finetune the breathing performance of a backup regulator! Just flick the venturi lever from + to - to prevent freeflow, and in an OOA, donate your primary, switch to your backup, and when things are under control, flick the - to +. The reg will breath ok in the - position, although hard, but enough to give you air while your buddy gets taken care of.

I'm going to keep my jacket BC....it works...I'm used to it..it fits...I've never been in anything else....that fits anyway.

I have been looking at a back-inflate, saying 'that would be nice', but I'm not buying a new BCD any time soon. I have no reg...I want my own reg....then I'll get a tank...or doubles...who knows. Right now I'm focused on a reg

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...and get the ATX40 as a backup instead, and save some money - the only difference is that the 50 has a finetuning knob, and you don't need to finetune the breathing performance of a backup regulator! Just flick the venturi lever from + to - to prevent freeflow, and in an OOA, donate your primary, switch to your backup, and when things are under control, flick the - to +. The reg will breath ok in the - position, although hard, but enough to give you air while your buddy gets taken care of.

What's scary is at diveinn....you can get just the atx50 with no hose for cheaper than the atx40...and since I'm going to be getting a 5 foot hose anyway, I can just use the hose that comes on the pimary for the secondary.....

For the link...definetly going to have to look into that option...

You missed out on the great deal I got from Dive Inn about a month ago. The had a TX40 primary and octo combo for $210. I didn't need a new reg, but I figured it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. It got even better when it showed up. The must have sold more than they had because I ended up with ATX40's instead. Happy day for me and even happier day for my fiance since its going to be her reg.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...and get the ATX40 as a backup instead, and save some money - the only difference is that the 50 has a finetuning knob, and you don't need to finetune the breathing performance of a backup regulator!

The ATX-40 has the adjustment, it just doesn't have the finger adjustment. Keep an allen wrench with you in your save-a-dive kit, so you can tweak it until you get it right.

Back
Top Bottom