MbSub X1-VB (3 C cell) Quickie Review/1st Impressions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...about the constant current design, that I don't know for sure, mbsub rates the 3 C cell version @ 15 hours, but I'm not sure if that means 15 hrs @ 250 lumen.

Hi Karl,

the X1-VB or FF is our only light without any electronic (except the MOS-FET switch).
The reason for that : a back up light shouldn´t have any regulation of current.
The Lumens will continuous goes down.

Our counterexample is the new VB-50 head:
you will have with 100% power setting for approx. 5 hrs full power (26.000 lux), then the electronic reduce the power to 9%. In this situation the brightness is still 5.000 lux.
This really comfortable safety light burns for the next 5 hrs, followed by a continuous reduced power for approx. 2 hrs.
With this solution the diver has max. safety and the battery will not be damaged.
I cant believe that exist a better solution for your safety.

Michael

Hi Karl,

the X1-VB or FF is our only light without any electronic (except the MOS-FET switch).
The reason for that : a back up light shouldn´t have any regulation of current.
The Lumens will continuous goes down.

Our counterexample is the new VB-50 head:
you will have with 100% power setting for approx. 5 hrs full power (26.000 lux), then the electronic reduce the power to 9%. In this situation the brightness is still 5.000 lux.
This really comfortable safety light burns for the next 5 hrs, followed by a continuous reduced power for approx. 2 hrs.
With this solution the diver has max. safety and the battery will not be damaged.
I cant believe that exist a better solution for your safety.

Michael

For the price of the light why not have another switch, even one inside would do, to bypass the electronics. Put the circuit in and have a bypass switch. This way the light could be used as a primary with regulated light and as a backup when you're using another as a primary?

Adam

Why have focusing ability if it's strictly a backup light and if it will continuously get dimmer? Nice light. Choices have to be made of course.

Hi Hatul,

i know you as a frugal diver, but i can you avouch that an additional switch inside with additional electronic would increase the price.

Michael

Why have focusing ability if it's strictly a backup light and if it will continuously get dimmer? Nice light. Choices have to be made of course.

I've got a couple of thoughts here, firstly, the focusing is an extra cost option, and if one either didn't want that option or didn't want to pay extra for 'focusing', one doesn't have to, but for only $ 25 more, it was a trivial $ difference. Also, the definition of 'back up' is arbitrary, one can use the light for what ever one wants, as either a primary or a backup light. For a while now I've actually been doing typical recreational night dives with an identical pair of early version LED Halcyon 3 cell Scouts, the one that's 'on' in my right hand is the primary, the one strapped to my left side harness webbing is my 'backup'.....identical light, I'm the one who decided my own definitions of 'primary' and 'backup'. My intention with my X1-VB lights was to have a light that would effectively bridge both worlds, it's easily powerful enough to make a good primary (in both luminosity and effective burn times) yet small enough to be easily stowable on my harness, especially with my 'fold flat' soft Oxycheq goodman handles, such that I could declare them to be backups, and use a can light or maybe a Photon2/VB-50 handheld as my primary.

With respect to my have a focusable 'backup', the X1-VB is powerful enough to be a good primary, and I wanted the ability to diffuse the beam for more peripheral vision and to avoid scaring/blinding all the UW critters, but at the same time, I wanted the ability to tighten the beam to a relative pinpoint to either punch through murk, or as an emergency signaling device (either signal other divers UW or signal the dive boat at night.)

For the price of the light why not have another switch, even one inside would do, to bypass the electronics. Put the circuit in and have a bypass switch. This way the light could be used as a primary with regulated light and as a backup when you're using another as a primary?

Adam

well, everything in this world is a balancing act, cost versus performance/features/quality, and I think most UW light manufacturers are quite small/specialized, for example, I think Salvo/Light Monkey is run by 2 guys, so it's difficult to have a bunch of different lights that are 98% similiar plus or minus 1 or 2 features, and easier to some what standardize with a smaller list of choices/options based on the manufacturers best 'read' on the market. Also, I couldn't help but notice Michael (mbsub) did comment on my 'observation' that the focusing ring is a little more narrow/smoother than might be ideal, and he said that will be addressed in the next version/production run...so the manufacturer IS listening to the feedback here and is willing to be responsive to the market. :)

Hi Hatul,

i know you as a frugal diver, but i can you avouch that an additional switch inside with additional electronic would increase the price.

Michael

Frugal is a good description. Some call me cheap. But when a light costs $275 putting in a switchable circuit should not be a big deal. The switch could be inside, something small that is pushed or slid with a pen, so it would not change the outer case. You would set it when you open the light before the dives.

From the business point of view it would make sense as well because you'd now be competing in two markets: backup and small primary light.

Adam

Frugal is a good description. Some call me cheap. But when a light costs $275 putting in a switchable circuit should not be a big deal. The switch could be inside, something small that is pushed or slid with a pen, so it would not change the outer case. You would set it when you open the light before the dives.

From the business point of view it would make sense as well because you'd now be competing in two markets: backup and small primary light.

Adam

ah, it's finally nice to see a diver that's more 'high-maintainance' than myself! :)

The switch could be inside, something small that is pushed or slid with a pen, so it would not change the outer case. You would set it when you open the light before the dives

I like the idea, but keep in mind that you'd not only be adding a switch. Since the light is currently direct drive, you would need to also add the current control circuitry. So not only are you adding cost - and more than just a switch - you would also need room for the additional circuitry.

I would like to see that as a design change, and for the informed diver it might make a difference in purchasing decision. From Michael's point of view, it would have to depend on a cost benefit analysis, especially if the added complexity would require more than a basic re-design.

Henrik

I like the idea, but keep in mind that you'd not only be adding a switch. Since the light is currently direct drive, you would need to also add the current control circuitry. So not only are you adding cost - and more than just a switch - you would also need room for the additional circuitry.

I would like to see that as a design change, and for the informed diver it might make a difference in purchasing decision. From Michael's point of view, it would have to depend on a cost benefit analysis, especially if the added complexity would require more than a basic re-design.

Henrik

c'mon Henrik, your NC wreck diving trip is just around the corner, go ahead and go for it, you know you want to! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom