MbSub X1-VB (3 C cell) Quickie Review/1st Impressions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
OK kids, my 2 brand new X1-VB (3 C cell) hand held back up lights arrived Wed 2/17 and while I haven't dove them yet, I'll go ahead and share my preliminary impressions. First, some disclaimers:

1) I'm not an optics/lighting expert, I'm not an engineer either, and I don't play one on T.V.

2) My somewhat underwater light experience is limited to: UK HID Light Cannons / assorted smaller UK halogen back up lights and one 4 C cell LED UK light/ an older Diverite 10W HID 'can' light / a really old halogen Diverite 50W 'can' light / a few older halogen and a few newer Halcyon 3-C cell LED 'Scout' back up lights/ Oxycheq Raider I and III....plus, of course, I've been exposed to/seen in use numerous other recreational level and tech level lights in use by other divers.

3) While I've done a little wreck diving and a little cave diving, I'm really mostly an advanced recreational diver interested in tropical-ish fishies/reefs/locations, hence I'm NOT PRIMARILY interested in pure light 'horsepower', I'm looking for a well balanced/well designed light in addition to 'horsepower'.

OK, here's are just some initial thoughts:

the X1-VB looks/feels like a high quality item, fits my hand well, feels solid...and the black anodized aluminum construction looks very 'techie'/sporty, not like so many brightly colored plastic cheezy recreational lights.

Shortly I'll be installing SS clips on the ends of the light bodies to clip off to my fixed harness D-rings, I also will begin experimenting this weekend with some Oxycheq 'light socks' as I'd like to equip these lights with soft Goodman handles, 'cause I think the light socks are simply BRILLIANT!

Reasons I chose this light:

--LED (I'm done with halogen/HID, HID replacement bulbs run $ 150-$200, are fragile/shortlived, can't be cycled on/off too fast/power hungry, inability to modulate their light intensity to suit the circumstances)

--Magnetic (and Rotating) on/off switch. I'm done with ANY light activated by a 'twist the light head action'. I simply don't trust that design, especially in a back up light as they're flood prone, self-activate with increased depth, depleting the batteries. Magnetic activation eliminates this concern. Also, I wanted a 'rotating' switch, not a 'sliding' switch and sliding switches tend to self-activate when they rub against other gear or when stowed under my webbing rubber bands. Manufacturers like Intova have had a seemingly endless series of issues with their sliding magnetic switches, switches falling out/leaking/becoming very sticky and refusing to activate or shut off.

--Focusable (I wanted the ability to control, to diffuse the light as needed, so I can leave it on narrow beam if I need 'punch', but I can diffuse it into a softer wider beam to light up a much larger area if needed or to look at critters without blinding them...and on max spread this light produces a very uniform, wide beam, without the excessive central hotspot like HID's, HID's produce too much light at the very center of the beam, and not enough light just off the beam center, plus the LED is a much 'warmer' light quality, HID is too harsh/blue with lots of UV=bad!

I've usually just been diving my 3 C cell 'Scouts' on recreational night dives, they're a little on the weak side and I wouldn't mind if they had a bit more 'horsepower', but they're adequate in clear water. I stuck with the 'Scouts' as I was waiting for light manufacturers to grow a brain and actually deploy lights with the features I wanted in a light, also waiting for LED's to mature to a sufficient output level...plus, this light has the variable focus beam I've been wanting which is a recent development.

These new X1-VB's completely blow away my 'Scouts' in light output, (yeah, I know Halcyon underruns their LED's for the sake of increased reliability) and the lights are essentially the same size (Halcyon = 8" long/ X1-VB = 9.3" long). It's hard for me to quantify the relative light outputs, looks like it's putting out dozens of times the light though!

Now, side by side, I can't believe I was actually diving with that piece-of-crap Halcyon! Really though, LED technology has certainly improved (I know even Halcyon has a newer, more powerful LED in their 'Scouts', although I'm sure the X1-VB would still completely blow away the 'new' LED 'Scout' too!

My only preliminary concerns with the X1-VB are as follows:

1) black anodized housing looks really cool, but will it hold up to diver abuse ? My Oxycheq Raider lights look cool too, but that black coating is a little sensitive to chipping, my Raider I has minor shipping on the front edge of the light head, and I've barely used it. (that being said, I know the coating is only cosmetic and any 'chipping' won't hurt the AL body, but it would be nice to have my light stay cool looking!)

2) the variable focusing 'ring' is a little narrow (3/8" wide) and I wouldn't mind if that 'ring' had been a little wider which would make it a touch easier to hold onto while turning, not a big deal, and it's possible if that 'ring' were wider it would have made the light body longer, which has a downside of making the light bulkier....just sayin'.

3) will I be successful in adding the Oxycheq light sock modification to the design ? (this 'issue' certainly isn't a design fault, as I bought the light knowing I was taking my own chances on being able to add the 'sock') The X1-VB main body is 1.2" diameter, the Oxycheq Raider I = 1.3" diameter, and the Oxycheq Raider III = 1.0" diameter, so I'm thinking I can make one of those 2 'socks' fit, we'll see.

I will say that even though I've not yet dove these lights, I still plan to buy in a month or so, yet another MbSub light (the PHOTON2/VB-50 LED 'head'/rigid Goodman Handle combo) in another month or so, I just wanted to see how the cheaper X1-VB's looked first, in person.

Karl

If it doesn't fit the "sock" there are ways to easily make your own. However, given the measurements that you've given you can probably use the larger sock and simply tie a piece of 1/8" bungee around your light body in two places and then slip it into the sock. I did this with another light and it worked well.

There are ways to firm up the fabric mount for greater stability as well.

Looking at the picture it looks like it might be a little top heavy in the mount. So 250 lumens, focusable correct and what is the price (didn't see it on the site)?

Edit: The picture was of the 3 AA version. I can see that the 3 C version would be longer and wouldn't be top heavy.

If it doesn't fit the "sock" there are ways to easily make your own. However, given the measurements that you've given you can probably use the larger sock and simply tie a piece of 1/8" bungee around your light body in two places and then slip it into the sock. I did this with another light and it worked well.

There are ways to firm up the fabric mount for greater stability as well.

Looking at the picture it looks like it might be a little top heavy in the mount. So 250 lumens, focusable correct and what is the price (didn't see it on the site)?

Edit: The picture was of the 3 AA version. I can see that the 3 C version would be longer and wouldn't be top heavy.

Hello, well, the price was $ 275 (Golem Gear is the US distributor), plus I added another $ 20 for a Raider III light sock, and another few $ for an SS clip, so final price (not including freight) $300. Golem Gear was good enough to upgrade freight to 2-Day-Air too.

I happened to have a used Raider I and Raider III sock on hand, and it appears the smaller Raider III sock is a good fit, the Raider I sock is too big. So far, just trying the light + sock combo on for size, it doesn't appear to need any additional structural support, although I appreciate the suggestion.

Per Scubatoys today, the Raider III socks are on backorder until JUNE !!! ...but I called Cave Adventurers and they claimed to have them in stock so I just ordered (3) of them there. :)

I plan to install a length of bicycle inner tube on the body/handle to provide extra friction between the light body and the sock...it's stays in place but if I pull on the light body beyond a gentle pull, the light body can slip within the sock. That being said, even with no addition of tire inner tube, the light won't slip out of the sock as the very end of the light body is a bit wider than the main body/handle and it would take very considerate/deliberate effort to actually pull the light out of the sock. BTW, I successfully installed lengths of tire inner tube on my Raiders to provide extra friction so the lights wouldn't 'spin/slip' within the sock at it worked like a charm in that application!

I went to a LDS today where I had something on order, and although the manufacturer had shipped the wrong item... :( ...I did show off my new lights and they were very impressed, thought the design was clever, and the sock modification was pretty slick! (they are Scubapro/Halcyon dealers)

So everything looks promising so far... :)

Sounds good! You should post pictures sometime. I'd like to see what the 3 C version looks like. A beamshot against the wall at flood and at spot would be nice as well!

Also, do you know if it's a constant current design...does it stay at 250 lumen for the entire burn time or does it gradually get dimmer but run longer?

Sounds good! You should post pictures sometime. I'd like to see what the 3 C version looks like. A beamshot against the wall at flood and at spot would be nice as well!

Also, do you know if it's a constant current design...does it stay at 250 lumen for the entire burn time or does it gradually get dimmer but run longer?

...well, Michael did post exactly the type of photos you're looking for over on 'thedecostop'...he posted photos of 'beams/spreads' as well as photos of both lights themselves.

...about the constant current design, that I don't know for sure, mbsub rates the 3 C cell version @ 15 hours, but I'm not sure if that means 15 hrs @ 250 lumen. Michael is actually over on the mbsub forum right now where I posted this same 'report', so maybe he will chime in over there if you ask about that? :)

I'll go over there and check out the pictures. I just did some quick numbers and get about 10 hours if it were constant current driven but I think I now recall Michael responding to one of my posts on another forum regarding optimal drivers and I now remember that he runs the light at constant current up to a point and then when battery power is getting low he drops it out of regulation.

Which is a very good system so that would explain the 15 hours number. It probably runs at 250 lumen for quite a while (maybe 6-7 hours) and then gradually gets dimmer after that for longer run time.

I can't find those pictures anywhere.

Hi Karl,

Excellent 1st impressions. Thanks for posting them.

1) black anodized housing looks really cool, but will it hold up to diver abuse ? My Oxycheq Raider lights look cool too, but that black coating is a little sensitive to chipping,

Keep in mind that the coating on the Oxycheq lights (at least on my Raider I) is powdercoating - and a thin coat at that - not anodizing. With about 20 dives just sitting on the harness most of the coating was gone.

The MB-Sub lights - as far as I understand it - are hard anodized, which if done well is a much more durable coating.

Thanks again.

Henrik

Last edited:
I can't find those pictures anywhere.

Well, I looked around for ya, and couldn't find X1-VB 'beam shots' either, (so I may have been mistaken) found plenty of reviews/photos/beam shots of the more powerful lights in a couple of the tech forums...so sorry about the wild goose chase, there may well be X1-VB 'beam shots' out there somewhere, maybe in one of the caver/wreck diver forums, but this afternoon I discovered I'm coming down with maybe the FLU! (moderate fever/chills, slight sore throat)...so I didn't search everywhere, but here are some good links to many recent reviews of the higher powered mbsub lights, so you can get a feel for the performance/quality of their product relative to other manufacturers higher end lights:

MB SUB LED Cave and Photon Hand Held on test - Rebreather World

MBSub twin LED cave light - Rebreather World

LED-light system: a new family member - Rebreather World

MB Sub Twin LED Cave on test - Rebreather World

mb sub....a unique LED light system: TWINLED - Rebreather World

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/dive-lights-torch/28769-if-your-next-led-lamp-shouldn.html

A new benchmark for LED-lights: VB-50 - Rebreather World

The Deco Stop (VB-50)

The Deco Stop

Perhaps e-mail Michael @ mbsub or their USA rep 'Jakub' at lof@golemgear.com (Jakub was my point of contact @ Golem Gear) and perhaps they can provide some X1-VB 'beam shots'.

Again, I'm very pleased with the intelligent design/firepower of this light, and even the most expensive variable-focus X1-VB is only $ 275, so if you take a chance on this light you won't be kicking yourself...my Halcyon/Scubapro dealer employees thought it was WAY COOL and they were surprised at the low price, one said he thought it would have cost at least $ 350.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Excellent 1st impressions. Thanks for posting them.

Keep in mind that the coating on the Oxycheq lights (at least on my Raider I) is powdercoating - and a thin coat at that - not anodizing. With about 20 dives just sitting on the harness most of the coating was gone.

The MB-Sub lights - as far as I understand it - are hard anodized, which if done well is a much more durable coating.

Thanks again.

Henrik

Thanks for the 'coating clarification', my expertise on 'coatings' is limited to "does it suck?" ... or " does it not suck?" :)

Karl

Back
Top Bottom