May I use an inflator hose for gasoline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
My diving compressor has a separated gasoline tank, it is connected by an outbord hose and coupling. They are rather bulky, an inflator hose would be much better. But does this work?
- O-rings are made of NBR, it is gasoline resistant
- Hose itself? I don'tknow.
- tire valve? I don't know.

Any experiences on that? Thanks for your help.

Gasoline and oil products eat certain types of rubber and plastic. If it's not designed for gasoline, don't use it. A pin hole leak spraying atomized gasoline around is a surefire way to end your day very badly. It's not just fire. It's explosive.

Gasoline and oil products eat certain types of rubber and plastic. If it's not designed for gasoline, don't use it. A pin hole leak spraying atomized gasoline around is a surefire way to end your day very badly. It's not just fire. It's explosive.
Thät's why I am asking. As soon as I know what kind of rubber is the inner layer I know if it is designed for gasoline.

If using scuba gear for gasoline is your only goal, the scuba part you’re looking for is 35.100.010-Quick Disconnect for P-Valve - Since It’s just a repurposed fuel line quick disconnect 🤔
Good idea as well, thank you. Do you know outside diameter of this part?

To answer your original question with regards to material composition. There is no single standard for hoses and they have historically been made by a variety of materials.

For HP hoses, the following construction has been fairly popular:
  • Inner tube made from Nitrile, quite often a Nitrile-Vinyl mix.
  • Middle layer of braided Kevlar
  • Outer layer of a Neoprene blend or rubber
For LP hoses, this has been popular:
  • Inner tube made from Nitrile. Some manufacturers use thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) based on polyester.
  • Middle layer of braided synthetic textile
  • Outer layer of a Neoprene blend or rubber
There are other material combinations and uses. The inner tubes I know of seem to be made of fuel resistant materials.
However, under no circumstances would I ever consider using one of these hoses for the use your propose. There is always the chance that a manufacturer picked a different material from I wrote above and the consequences could be dire.

The Schrader-valve is almost guaranteed to break in gasoline if I had to take a guess.

Good idea as well, thank you. Do you know outside diameter of this part?
I don't, but that design of quick-disconnect is available from other sources in various diameters. McMaster-Carr, for example: McMaster-Carr You may want to look for a material rated for gasoline contact, though.

Fuel line - hose, braided hose, and metal tube - is cheap and readily available. I'm not sure why you would want to use anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom