May I pick your brains for a moment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001, you just gave my character a logical reason to return to the wreck!

It looks like I'm going to need to have Zach already be an experienced tech diver prior to the story beginning.

<busily scribbling notes on plot elements to revise>

I'll make a special dedication section just for ScubaBoard!

Would vials float to the top of the ceiling of a wreck?

This thread is just so damn fun! Lefty, you're going to have to let all us know when your book is published. I love medical thrillers & I'm loving where you're going with your story. :)

(I actually just wrote 2 articles for Scuba Diver Life on dive reads which will be published in the Spring so it made me so happy to see someone talking about a passion of mine as a diver, reader & writer.)

Thank you, NYCNaiad!

I've been spending a LOT of time building my characters and mapping out several plot lines. It seems, though, that the more I think I have addressed, the more I realize I have yet to do. At some point, though, I'm going to have to stop collecting info and just use what I have.

You can't recover a "crate" of stuff without some preparation. Since he isn't expecting it, he couldn't have planned for recovering a crate of stuff on his first dive, so Zach will need to take one or two vials and then return for the rest of the crate at a later time after making a plan.

R..

Meh, not much of a limitation, since we are talking about fiction, and the details are completely arbitrary - they can fit the story line. A "crate" isn't a unit of volume, a crate of test tubes might be the size of a small book. If it makes sense for him to come back, it could be bigger. If the author doesn't want him to have to come back, it could be smaller.

Doctormike, I just visited your website, and noted what your "day job" is. Cool! I actually do infectious disease research, working for a virologist (DVM, PhD) who's quite big in our field. You may find it of interest that I created a new virus for my story that's an orthomyxo virus very similar to Nipah. The whole filovirus thing has been beaten to death in popular fiction of late, and I wanted something with more of an airborne component. The nice thing about fiction is I can make this "Nipah-like" virus more contagious with a higher mortality and still make it plausible.

I'm having a similar struggle with the virology part of the story in that I want the average person to be able to enjoy it, yet include enough science that some of my colleagues will appreciate it as well. I've written a few drafts of some of Zach's lab work, and think it might be a bit heavy on the virology side.

Lefty nothing says a hurricane did nit desilt a sunk freighter sitting in 120 ft. look what storms did to (I think) the texas clipper, busted her open and rolled her. new access exposed and a new cargo found.

Doctormike, I just visited your website, and noted what your "day job" is. Cool! I actually do infectious disease research, working for a virologist (DVM, PhD) who's quite big in our field. You may find it of interest that I created a new virus for my story that's an orthomyxo virus very similar to Nipah. The whole filovirus thing has been beaten to death in popular fiction of late, and I wanted something with more of an airborne component. The nice thing about fiction is I can make this "Nipah-like" virus more contagious with a higher mortality and still make it plausible.

I'm having a similar struggle with the virology part of the story in that I want the average person to be able to enjoy it, yet include enough science that some of my colleagues will appreciate it as well. I've written a few drafts of some of Zach's lab work, and think it might be a bit heavy on the virology side.

Sounds great! And I vote for as much accuracy as possible in fiction. Maybe not everybody appreciates it, but I think it's terrific that you are trying to get it right.

Now that I've had such tremendous help from y'all, from the technical diving side, here is a small excerpt from my work in progress. This is the science/virology side of the novel that I hope not to make too heavy for the average reader. I'll either include a glossary or explain some of the terminology in the dialogue. For this post, CPE means "cytopathic effect," or how "sick" the cells become. 4+ CPE means almost total destruction of the cells being infected. I think I can make this interesting to divers, scientists and lay people, without losing too many people.

To make it a little more clear, I'll set the stage for this excerpt. Zach has already recovered some of the vials (actually freeze dried ampoules) from the wreck, and has done some preliminary tests at the direction of his boss, Dr. Ted Kowalik. He is reporting his findings in their weekly lab meeting.

Dr. Kowalik peered over his reading glasses. “So, Zach, what did you find in your mystery amps from that wreck?”

Zach took a deep breath, straightened his notes and looked at the team gathered in the conference room. “Well, I inoculated several flasks with one of the amps. I did our standard one to a hundred dilution and we definitely have something growing. The E6 and BHK cells were at 4+ CPE on day 3. I saw minimal CPE in the MDCK cells. I didn’t see any growth in the egg cultures, so I don’t think we have a flu sample. The CPE developed too quickly for a filovirus. Maybe we’re looking at one of the herpesviruses or even a henipavirus. The CPE isn’t consistent with what I’ve seen with a herpesvirus, though. I’m thinking we have a henipavirus.”

“Are you sure about the egg cultures, Zach?” Dr. Kowalik pressed. “That doesn’t make any sense. From what Dr. Kozlov mentioned in his notes, the labels on those amps indicate some sort of flu strain. You might want to repeat the egg cultures again.” He held up a hand as Zach started to speak. “Let me finish, Zach, I know what you are thinking. We need to make absolutely certain what we have before reporting it back to the CDC. Besides that, we all know that the first henipaviruses weren’t discovered until relatively recently. These amps you found are much older than that.”

Sophie placed her hand on Zach’s shoulder. “Dr. Kowalik, I’ve never known Zach to make a mistake like that.”

“I didn’t say he made a mistake, Sophie, only that we need to repeat the egg cultures,” Ted interrupted, “Let’s not get defensive here. That won’t solve anything.”

Sophie looked over at Zach, then back to Dr. Kowalik. “What I was going to say was that in addition to evaluating the slides he made, we could run some RNA from the positive cultures against some of the known henipaviruses, including the current outbreak strain. I can do this while Zach repeats the cultures.”

Just a small snapshot of the science side of the novel. Enjoy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom