May I pick your brains for a moment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilliant revision idea......thank you!

I really enjoy working with these viruses. It's amazing how some viruses will grow in certain cells, yet not grow in other similar cells. If you've ever read The Hot Zone, several of the scientists mentioned in that book are guys I either work with now or worked with in the past. It was pretty cool meeting them the first time, and most of them are really down to earth....

Np! And btw I loved the Hot Zone. Awesome you've worked with them. I wish you the very best of luck on your book.

You could also add a bit of drama to the dive itself. A friend of mine was diving an overturned steel freighter back in the 90s in Lake Huron. She is 230 to the mud and only has a 6ft opening where the spar deck and focsle meet. He is on heliair and narcosis is present. He enters one of the 2 hallways and ties off a reel. Once inside his bubbles caused the ceiling (once the floor) to come down on him. He was pinned and kicking like hell towards the interior of the cabins in hopes of lighter construction. As you imagine it was completely silted out at this point and he was rapidly sucking down air and his bubbles were making the rest of the wooden structure unstable. Somehow he squeezed between 2 "beams" once his leg and fin was unpinned and got a bit deeper in the wreck. Feeling his line pointing the opposite direction he made his way over to the massive pile of wood debris where the line was trapped under and blindly felt the exit through the doorway. Once on the outside of the wreck he saw that he had only 800 psi left in his hp100s. He turned the wrong way and missed his deco bottles that he dropped so he had to ascend without the deco gasses. He managed to get up to 20ft where there was both a reg hanging from the boat and spare deco bottles of high O2 Nitrox and he descended back down to 60ft to do what little deco he could. Miraculously he did not get bent. The next day his friend went back out to the wreck and saw the line going under then over the pile of boards and out. The friend recovered the bottles and the wreck has not been dove yet. 20 years later I found the sister ship to that wreck but she was upright on the bottom and they sank in the same storm. (my profile pic)

You could also add a bit of drama to the dive itself. A friend of mine was diving an overturned steel freighter back in the 90s in Lake Huron. She is 230 to the mud and only has a 6ft opening where the spar deck and focsle meet. He is on heliair and narcosis is present. He enters one of the 2 hallways and ties off a reel. Once inside his bubbles caused the ceiling (once the floor) to come down on him. He was pinned and kicking like hell towards the interior of the cabins in hopes of lighter construction. As you imagine it was completely silted out at this point and he was rapidly sucking down air and his bubbles were making the rest of the wooden structure unstable. Somehow he squeezed between 2 "beams" once his leg and fin was unpinned and got a bit deeper in the wreck. Feeling his line pointing the opposite direction he made his way over to the massive pile of wood debris where the line was trapped under and blindly felt the exit through the doorway. Once on the outside of the wreck he saw that he had only 800 psi left in his hp100s. He turned the wrong way and missed his deco bottles that he dropped so he had to ascend without the deco gasses. He managed to get up to 20ft where there was both a reg hanging from the boat and spare deco bottles of high O2 Nitrox and he descended back down to 60ft to do what little deco he could. Miraculously he did not get bent. The next day his friend went back out to the wreck and saw the line going under then over the pile of boards and out. The friend recovered the bottles and the wreck has not been dove yet. 20 years later I found the sister ship to that wreck but she was upright on the bottom and they sank in the same storm. (my profile pic)

Holy schmoly!

:eek:

This was a "real life" scenario? That alone would've made a great NF book! Zach and Ken, in my project, will definitely have some.....ummmm....."difficulties" to contend with.

Just out of curiosity, hold cold is Lake Huron? I've heard all of the great lakes are pretty chilly year round.

Yes this was real story. Unfortunately he did take a big hit down the road a few years later that ended his diving. Lake Huron is always around 35-40° past 100ft. It can get up to 70° on the surface.

Brrrrrrr!! That's cold! I'm pretty warm natured, but my wife absolutely draws the line at about 70 degrees, wetsuit or not. Our shallow "mud holes" here in SE Texas typically average close to 88 degrees in the summer.

So did the book ever get finished?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom