May Grand Cayman Trip Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are now three operators on the East End. As Steve said Red Sail out of Rum Point (certain days) and Morritts (every day), Ocean Frontiers from Compass Point and a new one at Reef Resort - Silver Sands. OF and RSS are both good operators - que the normal comments about who prefers which one - I have dived with both. Have not gone out with Silver Sands as yet so cannot give any review on this one.
Do you have a link for this Silver Sands dive op? The only thing a search gets me is Silver Sands condos at the other end of the island, and the Reef website still talks about Red Sail.

Do you have a link for this Silver Sands dive op? The only thing a search gets me is Silver Sands condos at the other end of the island, and the Reef website still talks about Red Sail.

My mistake Silver Sands is the condo unit...I was thinking of WHITE SANDS Watersports White Sand Water Sports
They have only just started so not too much on the website

I emailed White Sands today about their operation. George responded quite quickly and with much detail. He and his other captain worked for OF for 8 years. They max out their boats at 8 divers, charge the same as OF and have the same profiles and perks...ie: towels, snacks, etc. We always stay at Morritt's or the Reef. We're going to try them out in April. As usual, I will post a trip report upon our return.

releck97, what exactly is a finger lake swine cruise?
I think I was on something like that back in college but the memory isn't clear.

Let us all know how White Sands works out.

Swine Cruise??? I'll have to ponder the possibilities. Nah, we stick mainly to Wine Cruises.
Looking forward to the trip. Another brutal one for those of us living in the northeast, eh? Heading to Pompano Beach in 2 weeks to break it up a bit.

releck97, what exactly is a finger lake swine cruise?
I think I was on something like that back in college but the memory isn't clear.

Let us all know how White Sands works out.

Update on the trip planning. Flight and condo reserved at Bonnie's Arch condo. Owner has a deal with Lighthouse Point to take tanks offsite for shore diving. Thanks to DiverSteve for the reminder about dive flag/marker. I did have this on my list as we pretty conservative and taking our 19 year old son with us who only has 2 ocean dives logged.

Next up: Rental car and selecting dive ops for gear rental and boat dives. Would appreciate suggestions for each.
As we will be shore diving I imagine we will want to pick up rental gear soon after arriving. Looking for ops that take out small groups and not take us on deeper dives if we do not feel ready.

Question: I notice that many folks are diving right after arriving by plane. When I was PADI certified back in the early 90s we were taught that you could not dive within 24 hours of flying due to risk of embolism. Has this changed?

Question: I notice that many folks are diving right after arriving by plane. When I was PADI certified back in the early 90s we were taught that you could not dive within 24 hours of flying due to risk of embolism. Has this changed?
The issue is flying after diving, not diving after flying - and is related to DCS risk, not embolism. What is Decompression: Flying after Diving

When's the last time you were diving?

Thanks for that. Been years since I have been diving anywhere we had to fly. Don't dive as much since we moved north from FL 20 years ago. We always pull out the PADI book for review sessions before we go. My husband is more experienced than I.

Bonnies arch is very well situated and you have your own good shore dive site right there! There is a Foster's Food Fair in West Bay to provide your grocery needs. Good dining nearby at Alfresco and Cracked Conch Macabuca.
You are close to the shore diving at Lighthouse, Cobalt Coast and Turtle Reef as well and away from the hustle and bustle of Georgetown and the bottom half of Seven Mile Beach.

We use Andy's Car Rental as it seems to be a bit less expensive than the others.

There are many good dive ops on the west side of the island that dive north as well when weather permits. We like DNS and Wall to Wall but you will find that most of the other operators have loyal followers as well. All good as long as they also provide big boat, small group service.

Dive Tech is the operator for lighthouse and Cobalt Coast, maybe they can provide you with a boat, shore, tank package that meets your needs. They can also do a refresher for you if you need it. Do not have any personal experience with their rental gear.

Back
Top Bottom